AIW Rage 128- can't change screen res.

Discussion in 'ATI' started by jp, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. jp

    jp Guest

    System info -
    Win98, AIW Rage 128 with driver version 4.12.
    DX 8.1
    IE 5.5
    Windows Media Player 7

    Trying to fix my sisters computer over the phone from US to UK.
    She says that they downloaded some upgrades to Internet Explorer and since then
    the kids are not able to run some games. Come up with an error that says it
    cannot run because it can't run at the screen resolution that is set.
    Got her to do some checks.
    They think that all they d/led was Shockwave, and Flash plugins.
    The screen res is 1024x768 16bpp. If she tries to change to any other res.
    (larger or smaller) it says "The control panel is unable to change the display
    settings. Please check your display hardware in device manager".
    Running DXdiag and testing DirectDraw and Direct3D is OK till it wants to test
    full screen and fails.
    In the saved test results you get this -
    DDraw Test Result: Failure at step 17 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT =
    0x80004005 (Generic failure)
    D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 39 (SetDisplayMode to 640x480x16): HRESULT =
    0x80004005 (Generic failure)
    D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.

    Any ideas what may be wrong?

    jp, Jan 3, 2004