    Latest Multi Media Center v 7.2 is installed.
    Motherboard is ASUS A7N8X-E, but had same problem with ASUS A7V motherboard.

    Any Ideas?

    Joe101, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Joe101

    GinTonix Guest

    Just a general piece of advise: check your MoBo manual whether the AGP slot
    and the first PCI slot share some resources. They (or AGP slot and some
    other PCI slot) often do, and in general you should avoid having two
    vidcards in these "connected" slots to avoid some wierdo problems like you
    are experimenting. So, swap the PCI card in another slot and see if it
    helps. You might also dedicate an IRQ of their own to each vidcard, if you
    can afford it.
    My two cents worth :)

    GinTonix, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Joe101

    Joe101 Guest

    Microsoft "help" on multi monitors with both AGP and PCI says to use 1st PCI
    slot. Microsoft says Rage 128 is supported as multimonitor 2nd monitor.
    Slot #1, # 5 and WiFi slot use the same PCI_int_A, slot 5 is empty and have
    no WiFi. When checking "Device Manager", I see "No Conflict" displayed for
    both cards. What seem strange is that "Resources" show IRQ 19 on AGP and
    IRQ 16 on PCI.....I thought there were only 16 IRQs (0 thru15)???

    Joe101, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Joe101

    Gypsy Baron Guest

    Just FYI, I have a Radeon 9600 AIW Pro, AGP and it also malfunctions.
    ATI drivers just do not work well when the second display is enabled.
    As long as the TV remains on the original monitor and I don't try to
    change anything in the setup it does work, but woe betide me if I
    should try to alter anything. Best case, I have to reboot. Worst
    case, I have a hard lookup that only a forced power down will fix!

    I think one of my other systems with a non-Radeon AIW Pro operated
    in the same manner....poorly, when it came to multiple displays!

    Paul ( I have the same ASUS A7N8X MB. )

    Gypsy Baron, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Joe101

    Joe101 Guest

    Paul,

    It's good to hear that I am not the only one, and newer ATI AIW cards also
    do the same. I hope ATI is monitoring this string and can help. I agree
    with your comment ...... "ATI drivers just do not work well when the second
    display is enabled".

    I can watch TV or use the 2nd monitor but only one at time. And must also
    disable TV or 2nd monitor first before switching. Trying to use both locks
    up on me also, and requires a re-boot.

    I have tried 3 different PCI slot 1, 4, and 5 which have no conflicts with
    other stuff according to the ASUS A7N8X-E technical manual.

    Paul, you did not mention the PCI card you are using as 2nd monitor. I am
    using a ATI PCI Expert 128 (Rage 128 chip).

    Joe

    Joe101, Feb 5, 2005
  6. Joe101

    Gypsy Baron Guest

    Joe101 wrote:
    -SNIP-
    Joe,
    The Radeon 9600 AIW Pro has dual outputs so it can drive
    two monitors from the same card. No need for a second one.
    My other system with the older AIWPro also has this capability.
    Now if there were just some decent drivers available so that
    I could USE the 2nd monitor without fear of hard lockups I'd
    be alot happier. As it is, I rarely use that feature. I watch
    TV in a window on my primary monitor whilst I work in other
    windows on the same display.

    Paul

    Gypsy Baron, Feb 5, 2005
  7. FWIW, I'm seeing the same issue with my AIW X700 Pro (PCIe) card -- TV goes
    black when secondary monitor is activated.

    (MMC9.03, Catalyst 5.1, on an A-Bit AA8 Duramax)

    Michael David Garrison, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Joe101

    Joe101 Guest

    I emailed ATI support for help and got an immediate reply from their mail
    robot that I would soon get an answer. Guess what .....STILL WAITING

    Joe101, Feb 25, 2005