    X800 256 but its kinda pricey. Don't really wanna go all out and dump my XP
    3200+ right now tho. Is the AIW X800 worth the steep price tag in order to
    move from the AIW 9800? Thanks.

    Anonymoose, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Anonymoose

    Augustus Guest

    I guess it depends on the purpose of the upgrade. The AIW features are
    identical. The X800 XT will give you the ability to play Far Cry or Doom3 at
    1600x1200 with max features on, and is definitely a faster card, but the
    9800 Pro is not overly taxed by these games at lesser resolutions with
    features on. (Although I must admit 1280x1024 with Doom3 on a 9800 Pro is a
    slideshow in some areas) My games are run at 1152x864 with 4x FSAA and high
    details. I consider an upgrade important when the games or software I use
    are compromised in speed or quality.

    Augustus, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Anonymoose

    OneActor1 Guest

    I just built a PC with an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ processor and ATI's X800
    XT Platinum Edition video card. So far, I haven't found anything the
    system can't run on full-settings. There's a good comparo between the
    ATI cards and the Nvidia cards with specs for most all of the models at
    anandtech.com that may be of use to you. The Nvidia cards are slightly
    quicker on 1 or 2 of the test games because they are optimized for
    OpenGL, but the ATI chipsets, which are Direct3D optimized, blow them
    away more often than not. As a side note, don't use 3DMark as a
    benchmark test if you're getting an ATI card, 3DMark is OpenGL based
    and favors Nvidia cards.

    OneActor1, Mar 20, 2005
  4. Excuse me, but 3DMark is Direct3D-based. After all, it's a DirectX
    benchmark.

    =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

    Brian Dickens, Mar 20, 2005
  5. Further more, using Direct3D, ATi cards are favored as ATi cards are
    generally better in Direct3D than their nVidia counterparts.

    =- Brian Dickens

    Brian Dickens, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Anonymoose

    OneActor1 Guest

    Well then I was told incorrectly. Nontheless, my system is as fast or
    fatser than most others, but 3DMark definitely seems to favor Nvidia
    systems, as I noticed MUCH slower machines posting MUCH higher numbers
    than mine, many of them using NVidia cards, with 3DMark.

    OneActor1, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Anonymoose

    Anonymoose Guest

    Dam, you twisted my arm! I'm all over it now. Thanks for the post!

    Anonymoose, Mar 22, 2005