    mobo 2-3 years ago. The CPU is Duron850...

    Thanks,
    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 18, 2003

  2. MM

    c Guest

    Mikhail,
    Best to never upgrade operating systems. It is better to install to a clean
    hard drive if possible. I'm not saying this is causing your problem since
    you had the problem before the upgrade, but it is a good rule of thumb.
    Definitely update the BIOS. The latest version is 1.20 and here is the page
    with a link to it:
    http://tinyurl.com/nued

    I have found AOpen boards to be extremely stable, so they are mainly what I
    use for my customers. Most times if I having problems with a system freezing
    up, I look to new drivers first, then check hardware. Did you update the Via
    motherboard drivers? You can get the latest version of them here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ko8y . Install these first, then update your video and
    sound drivers.

    I just fixed a system today that was blue screening with XP and found out
    that it was a faulty Ethernet card causing the problem. If you can post your
    system specs someone can point you to the latest drivers for your hardware.
    Another common cause of freezups is faulty memory. If you're replacing your
    hard drive to eliminate the problem, I would try everything else first.

    One last thing to do is run Ad Aware. You can get this program for free at
    www.download.com . Spyware can cause so many problems with a PC because
    there are applications running in the background that you don't know about.
    These programs can use huge amounts of system resources.

    Good luck
    Chris

    c, Sep 18, 2003

  3. MM

    MM Guest

    Chris,

    Thank you very much for your response!
    Yeah, I know, but I thought there isn't much difference between 2000 and XP
    and hoped for the best... Normally I wouldn't upgrade at all, but I needed
    XP to do some XP specific driver development work...
    OK, I will do this.
    Not in my experience, unfortunately... And when I was first configuring my
    system I saw a lot of posts from dissapointed folks on the aopen news
    server...
    Well, in the past when I was trying hard to fix those freezes I tried
    everything and I upgraded VIA drivers multiple times as well as all other
    drivers. I got system to a relatively usable state (originally audio was
    causing all sorts of problem) and gave up, but recently I decided to give it
    another try and changed my video card, but it again froze a couple of times
    after that.
    hardware.

    The system is very basic (off my head, don't have access to it at the
    moment):
    AK73-1394(perhaps A, don't remember now)
    Duron 850
    384MB PC133 SDRAM
    Geforce MX440 64MB AGP video card (just recently installed)
    Some basic ethernet card (came with cable Internet, so I don't remember
    brand)
    CD-ROM
    CD-RW
    30MB Maxtor HDD
    The reason I am now adding a hard drive is to do a fresh install. I don't
    think memory is at fault because it never failed any tests, including all
    kinds of burn-in tests I tried. Although, I am not 100% sure here. I
    remember reading somewhere that this mobo was sensitive to number of memory
    modules installed...
    Since I had this issue from day one and I always had a firewall I don't
    think it is spy ware, but I will look into it when I have it running...

    Thanks,
    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 18, 2003
  4. MM

    c Guest

    <large snip>

    Mikhail,

    It shounds like you have done most of the right things to try to combat the
    problem. Do the BIOS flash before you do your next install. Make sure things
    like memory and CPU timing are not overclocked at all. As soon as you
    install XP or 2000 again, do the VIA driver update first thing. Then do the
    video drivers. Make sure you get your video drivers from nVidia, not from
    anywhere else. You may want to try a different video card in case there is a
    problem with yours. One other thing you can do is try another power supply.
    This is something else that can cause problems if things aren't right. Also,
    AOpen has a 3 year warranty on their motherboards, so if it's still in
    warranty, you can get a replacement if you find the board is faulty. Oh, and
    one other thing I just thought about. Check the capacitors on the
    motherboard. They are the round cylindrical things that sort of surround the
    CPU socket. there was a streak of bad capacitors that made their way onto
    many brands of motherboards. The problem with most of them is that they leak
    fluid. What it will look like is yellowish or brownish corrosion on the top
    of the capacitor. This will cause the problem you describe as well. In fact,
    if it is bad enough, you won't get through an operating install without it
    locking up. If you want a picture of what they look like, let me know and I
    can email you one or post it somewhere.

    Chris

    c, Sep 18, 2003
  5. MM

    MM Guest

    Thanks for sharing your ideas, Chris! As to how the capacitors look, I
    happen to be a hardware design engineer, so pictures are not required :))

    Thanks again. I will see what I can do... I posted approximately the same
    question on microsoft.public.windows.setup_deployment and here is what
    someone posted in response (my question is below):

    From: "cww" <>
    Subject: BSOD after upgrading from 2000 to XP
    Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:55:26 -0700

    I haven't been able to find anyone that has gotten past
    this error. But one thing I think should be tried first
    is a Repair. The way you do this is boot off of the CD
    and select the Install option. Yes I know its a messed up
    way to repair. But once you get past that point you have
    another Install option PLUS a repair. Try that repair and
    see if it will fix it. Other than that you should be able
    to install on the same HDD using a different dir/folder to
    house XP (parallel install). Just remember which one you
    installed to and when it comes up in Windows you can
    remove the old XP dir/folder. This is a good option for
    those that don't want to lose the info on their HDD
    without having to use another HDD for an install.

    MM, Sep 18, 2003
  6. MM

    c Guest

    The repair might fix it, but it's not a sure thing. I have had some success
    with the XP repair, but not always. It's worth a try. Also, and I'm sure
    you've done this, but make sure all of the patches and updates are installed
    for the operating system as well. there are about 50-60 updates for XP right
    now. I hope they hurry up with service pack 2 so it can be slipstreamed into
    the install. It takes almost as much time to install the updates as it does
    the operating system right now. Anyway, post back here when you try this
    thing again, I'm curious to see how you turn out.

    Chris

    c, Sep 18, 2003
  7. MM

    MM Guest

    Well, yesterday I upgraded the BIOS and tried repair briefly but it didn't
    seem to work, so I just went ahead with a fresh installation on a new hard
    drive. This went very smoothly and the system is now up and running and so
    far seems very stable. Haven't seen any freezups yet! However, reinstalling
    all my software and moving settings is a lot of work... For example, I
    couldn't find a way to import email OE accounts from another drive with dead
    OS, so I had to move everything separately. BTW, do you know where OE keeps
    its filter settings? I used to have a lot of filters and I don't want to do
    them all over again, especially my spam filters, which took months to
    build...

    Thanks,
    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 19, 2003
  8. MM

    c Guest

    Not sure how this will work with a hosed OS, but have you tried installing
    the original drive as a slave and using the file settings and transfer
    wizard that XP has? I have only used it once, but it seems to do a pretty
    good job of transferring all of the original settings.

    Chris

    c, Sep 21, 2003
  9. MM

    MM Guest

    If I understand correctly how this wizard works, it assumes existence of two
    computers: "old" and "new". It then can create a file(s) with settings from
    the "old" computer for later import by the "new" computer. The problem seems
    to be that I can't trick the wizard to look for settings in a non-active
    system on a slave drive.

    /Mikhail

    MM, Sep 22, 2003
  10. MM

    c Guest

    Yup, you're right. I just read up on it a bit and it looks like that is the
    only way it works. I'm not sure where the filters and such are kept.

    Chris

    c, Sep 25, 2003