AK77-8XN Questions

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Ed_, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. Ed_

    Ed_ Guest

    A few weeks ago I purchased some components in bulk from an estate. Among the
    various goodies was a AK77-8XN mobo. There wasn't anything in the box except
    the board so I've been trying to collect any info I can about the workings of
    this board.

    I have been to the Aopen website and downloaded what drivers and utilities that
    I thought that I would need but I was just wondering if anyone had some personal
    experiences that they could share about the building a nice system with this
    board. Also, any idea where to get the i/o panel and other accessories.

    I am thinking along the lines of a 2500 Barton with 2700 Crucial memory and
    using a Geforce3 T1-300 that I already have from another system. I wasn't to
    sure about the onboard sound but I also have a spare Santa Cruz that is not
    being used that I could slip in, if need be.

    This would not be a gamer machine but mostly web surfing and music with some
    video editing.

    Any thoughts or insite would be appreciated. My building experience is limited
    to 3 previous builds, all with Asus boards and the Nforce chips so this is sure
    to be a little different.

    Ed

    Ed_, Aug 30, 2003

  2. Ed_

    Chachi Guest

    Solid little motherboard ... using an AK77-8X-Max here myself which is
    almost identical to yours .... XP2500+ will happily zip along in this
    board and the memory/vid as well.

    Chachi, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Ed_

    Ed_ Guest

    Thanks Cachi. I guess I'll just wait a bit and see if Newegg will drop the
    price of some Crucial 2700, it's a little steep right now. It would also help
    if the AMD folks would decide to have a fire sale..hehe.

    Ed

    Ed_, Sep 1, 2003
  4. Ed_

    Chachi Guest

    If you don't mind giving them your custom, simply.co.uk is doing xp2500+
    retail boxed w/3yr warranty for £75 incl vat/shipping at present

    Chachi, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Ed_

    Cobra Guest

    just wondering what the maximum speed CPU can be put on this board.

    Looking at getting the Amd 3000Xp+ Barton Core 333 FSB (or 400FSB if
    supported). Or a larger CPU, if supported.

    I will also be running with a Corsair 1024 DDR XMS3200LLPT ram chip.

    Can anyone help?

    thanks

    Cobra

    Cobra, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Ed_

    c Guest

    CPU table:
    http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/mb/cpu_supported.asp?TestFunction=494&Model=587

    Approved RAM:
    http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/mb/ListTestItem.asp?TestFunction=519&Model=587

    HTH
    Chris

    c, Oct 24, 2003
  7. Ed_

    Ed_ Guest

    Thanks for the links Chris.

    I have just built one of these boards with a 2500 Barton and a stick of 512,
    2700 Crucial this week. So far it is running just sweet. It actually runs
    about 5c cooler than my A7N8X-DX with the same cpu. It's been running at idle
    at 34c and 29c for most of two days now. Not quite as fast as the Nforce2 but
    very stable so far.

    Mine is a refurb so I didn't get the goodies but I think I managed to download
    the correct drivers and software for it. This is my first build with an Aopen
    board and I must say that I am quite impressed. The only con so far is the
    location of the ATX connector. It sure makes it hard to organize the wires. :)

    Ed

    Ed_, Oct 25, 2003
  8. Ed_

    c Guest

    I use quite a few of these boards for my customers that don't want to spend
    the money on the Nforce2 board and yes they are rock steady. As far as the
    accessory package, you aren't really missing anything that is critical
    because the driver CD has old drivers on it. You also get things like Adobe
    Reader which you can download as well. The board also comes with an OEM
    Norton AV CD, but it is only a 3 month version. The case I have been using
    seems to work well with the ATX connector, but because of the many different
    case heights, I can see where there could be an issue with some of them. You
    made a good choice on boards.

    Chris

    c, Oct 25, 2003
  9. Ed_

    SPS 700 Guest

    I think by goodies he means he didn't get the I\O backplate. Usually refurb
    boards dont have this usefull item. With everyome going to custom placement
    of I\O ports the standard ATX plate is useless.

    SPS 700, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Ed_

    c Guest

    Actually, I have bought a few AOpen refurbs, and the only thing that does
    come with it is the I/O plate. You don't get the cables, CDs, and manual.

    Chris

    c, Oct 31, 2003