AK86-L and opensolaris zfs filesystem

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Harry Putnam, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. Harry Putnam

    Harry Putnam Guest

    I don't see much traffic here other than quite a lot of spam but
    hopefully there are some Aopen gurus who watch for real question about
    Aopen boards.

    I'm not to big on fiddling with hardware in my computers at times so I
    took an ailing Asus mobo from an Athlon64 2.2 Ghz +3400 (I don't
    remember the mobo model anymore) to a computer fixit place and they
    replaced the mobo with an Aopen AK86-L. Apparently I had actually
    damaged the Asus by dicking around trying to install more RAM.

    I've gotten interested in running OpenSolaris OS so that I could make
    use of there really nifty zfs file system in a home NAS setup.

    Currently testing it by way of OpenSol-11 as guest in Vmware on winxp
    host (on the aforementioned Ao mobo).

    I'm a little reluctant to try to install OpenSol directly on the
    Athlon64 Aopen hardware since I can find no evidence on the Solaris
    Hardware compatibility lists or the Opensolaris news groups, that this
    particular mobo will run OpenSolaris... its notoriously picky about
    hardware.

    A further issue may be adding a pci style sata controller. The mobo
    only has 2 sata ports... I think I will be wanting at least 2 more giant
    discs so could use some advice on which pci sata controller would be
    likely to work.

    Harry Putnam, Feb 26, 2009