All drives not being recognized - new drive seems to have bumped oneof the others

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by HiC, Oct 5, 2008.

  1. HiC

    HiC Guest

    Running XP Home and a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus DRAGON 2 v1.0 mobo. The
    system previously had 1 DVD drive, 1 floppy, 1 IDE drive (the C
    drive), 1 SATA secondary drive, and 3 USB 2.0 drives which I use
    mostly for storage and are normally not turned on. System recognized
    all of these drives, no issues accessing any of them.

    I added another internal IDE cabled in series with the C drive. I
    noticed when booting the system with the new drive, it didn't give me
    a "system configuration changed" message at the POST which has always
    been the case previously. It booted normally. It now calls the new H/D
    "F" which was formerly assigned to one of the USB drives and is now
    ignoring one of the previously recognized USB 2.0 drives. As far as I
    can tell, the MOBO is supposed to support as many drives as I have.

    Any suggestions as to what the issue is?

    Thanks for all input.

    HiC, Oct 5, 2008

  2. HiC

    Conor Guest

    Yeah, its done what its supposed to do and assigned a drive letter to
    the internal hard drive over the external ones.

    If you go into Disk Management, you can assign the "missing" USB2 drive
    a letter.

    Conor, Oct 5, 2008

  3. HiC

    HiC Guest

    It doesn't show up in Administrative Tools > Computer Management >
    Disk management. It's not there. The only place I find any indication
    it's attached to the computer is under Computer Management > Universal
    Serial Bus controllers, shows up as "Unknown device". No option to
    name or rename it.

    HiC, Oct 6, 2008
  4. HiC

    HiC Guest

    Tried a different USB port, now it's being recognized and
    automatically assigned a letter. Hmmm..

    HiC, Oct 6, 2008