All in Wonder crashes on computers with Intel CPUs w/Hyper Threading

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Steve, Apr 13, 2004.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I'd like to alert all readers that ATI is aware of an issue where using the
    TV Tuner on a computer with an Intel Pentium 4 processor with Hyper
    Threading will cause the computer to crash.

    Their acknowledgement is here:

    http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4261.html

    They recommend going to this MS knowledgebase article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817589

    However, this KB article recommends calling MS to apply it.

    Most Microsoft TS personal have no knowledge of this, and those that do say
    that it doesn't work. It may or may not be addressed in SP2.

    Just fair warning to all with a later model computer using this CPU, not to
    expect to the TV Tuner to work.

    Steve, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Steve

    Irv Segal Guest

    ATI's infobase article refers specifically to the TV Wonder line of
    products.

    --irv segal

    Irv Segal, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Steve

    Mike Guest

    The article may refer to the TV Wonder line, but I emailed ATI with the
    same issue with my AIW 9000Pro. They stated this same answer. MS does
    not have the hot fix online. I found the fix and applied it, but it
    does not work. My PC does not crash. I just don't get the video feed
    either from the TV or the input block from a camcorder. I even disabled
    the Hyper Thread and that didn't work.

    Mike, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I have an ALL-IN-WONDER® 9800 PRO and it DOES crash with the TV Tuner
    active. That's how I learned of the problem after suspecting everything else
    other than the video card.

    It would be nice of ATI to warn it's customers and potential customers of
    this issue. Many hours of productivity were lost troubleshooting this issue
    when they had the information all along but didn't wish to release it for
    fear of lost sales.

    Why would someone purchase an AIW card if not for the TV Tuner? The analog
    breakout box? Hardly, there are better, less expensive solutions.

    Steve, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Steve

    DEP Guest

    Great I just order a 9800 last night.

    I have a SK8N ASUS with an AMD 64 bit cpu.

    I will try it and let you know the results.

    DEP

    DEP, Apr 13, 2004