All video comes up as a blank screen except in "theater mode" in overlay tab

Discussion in 'ATI' started by auilani, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. auilani

    auilani Guest

    Okay, this problem is so frustrating...I am using a radeon 8500 128mb AIW

    Using the DVI cable to my NEC LCD 1850x

    all video in media player (as well as other players) displays only a blank
    screen...audio is fine

    the preview pane in xp shows the first frame of the video fine.

    I can get it to work by selecting "theater mode" in the overlay tab of my
    radeon options

    and/or I can get it to work by cranking the hardware acceleration down to
    the third from the "none" anything above that yields the black screen.

    I've tried updating directx, windows media, downloading various codecs, all
    sorts of things...

    one thing that works is bsplayer...it plays the videos fine however it has
    two errors upon openning.

    "overlay failed"

    and

    "Display hardware is not capable of color-space conversions. Switching to
    RGB" I click OK and all works

    What does it mean that it is "switching to RGB..obviously this has to do
    with the colorspace native to the dvi cnx right..

    I gave away my dvi to vga adapter already thinking I was getting a better
    cnx btwn my pc and my ati card...Should I go back to the vga cable?

    Thanks

    auilani, Nov 14, 2003

  2. auilani

    JAD Guest

    have you 'cloned' the primary in the display properties -settings-advanced-displays?

    JAD, Nov 14, 2003

  3. I'm sure I knew at one point what overlay mode was - something to do with
    letting the graphics card do more of the work I think - videos in preview
    mode use far more CPU time. For some reason my card isn't able to run
    overlay video on my second monitor - i.e. if I drag media player across both
    windows, the second monitor part is just a blank area while the first
    monitor shows it's part of the image fine.

    Check that you have set the LCD as your primary monitor. For some reason my
    card recognises the monitor plugged into the DVI as monitor 2 by default,
    even if there's nothing plugged in to the VGA socket.

    Andy Cunningham, Nov 14, 2003
  4. auilani

    Ben Pope Guest

    Thats likely the reason.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Nov 14, 2003
  5. Andy Cunningham skriblede:
    In short: overlay is when data is written directly video memory.
    Non-overlay means data has to be transformed into RGB, which btw. is done
    by the vpu.

    David

    David T. Metz, Nov 14, 2003