Alsoft Diskwarrior V4.0 is fine fixing/maintaining Leopard disks and free update coming

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    Hi,

    As one of the Mac "support" portals totally became FUD machine after
    Leopard, I better post this to Usenet.

    Disk Warrior Version 4 is all fine when run from OS X 10.4.10 and has
    tiny, cosmetic, trivial issues which will be fixed when run under OS X
    10.5.0 (Leopard)

    Here is official info from Alsoft:
    "What you can expect when running DiskWarrior 4.0 under Mac OS X 10.5
    and rebuilding a Leopard disk.
    While not recommended (and discouraged), if you do run DiskWarrior 4.0
    while started from Mac OS X 10.5 you might encounter some problems such
    as:
    1) You cannot rebuild FileVaults or disk images.
    2) In step 9 (comparing directories) of a rebuild, the progress bar
    might get to 100% even though the comparison step is not finished and
    will continue to execute.
    3) When performing Check All Files and Folders the progress bar might
    get to 100% even though the check is not finished and will continue to
    execute.
    4) After rebuilding a disk, DiskWarrior may report that some files or
    folders have had their permissions changed. This is inaccurate and the
    permissions have not been changed.
    To repeat, an updated version of DiskWarrior that has complete Leopard
    compatibility will be released soon as a free download for existing
    owners of DiskWarrior 4.0."
    These are all COSMETIC in my book and the xxxfixit guys are attacking
    that excellent software just because of lack of advertising.

    I started to believe this has something to do with the agressive rival
    of Diskwarrior who frequently advertises on Versiontracker and plans a
    Version 5 UPGRADE (which will be paid software) for Leopard.

    About those cosmetic issues: I think they live consequences of taking
    Apple serious and trusting their frameworks instead of building their
    own, non native ones.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 3, 2007

  2. That is neither cosmetic nor trivial.
    That is neither cosmetic nor trivial.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 3, 2007

  3. Didn't Alsoft's website have accurate information all along, though?

    Steven Fisher, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    More details here

    http://www.macjournals.com/news/despicable.html

    This was a scandal from start and they keep posting it to front page,
    like on purpose.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    It is not big deal since thanks to its very unique nature, Disk
    Warrior knows it can't fix something as it doesn't really "know" how to
    fix it, so it won't even try "fixing".
    It is trivial and cosmetic as every permission issue. The permissions
    aren't changed to wrong ones, they are just wrongly reported as changed.

    Remember these are happening when Diskwarrior exact version 4.0 running
    under Leopard. Not Disk Warrior 4 running under 10.4.10 or any 10.4 OS.

    You better check this: http://www.macjournals.com/news/despicable.html
    and see what I am mad about.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 3, 2007
  6. It sounds to me like a pissing contest between the two sites.

    Personally, I will not run Disk Warrior if I'm booted from a
    Leopard-formatted drive until they come up with a fix. If I need to run
    it, I'll boot it from its own CD.

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 3, 2007
  7. Ilgaz Öcal

    Guest Guest

    Funny. MacFixIT encourages users to do stupid things with their system,
    thus creating other problems and so they keep coming back for more.

    They have a different kind of fix than most poeple think it means.

    Interseting about the ownership change, and their FUD-mongering explains
    why they are a favorite of some of the wintrolls. I never really looked
    at their site much, there didn't seem to be much there worth looking at
    before you get told to pay.

    Andy

    Guest, Nov 4, 2007
  8. Ilgaz Öcal

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    I use and still use every kind of hack on my system starting with my
    Atari 800XL 8bit but I have never, ever thought about replacing a
    system binary (e.g. kernel extension) with an old one to fix things.

    That is one of the things Macfixit suggests and when you tell that is
    an insane thing to do and users should use bug report/ support request
    to make Apple or 3rd party aware... The users, mostly paid users flames
    you :)

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 5, 2007