    unix like Linux (MMU required) ...

    Best Regards
    Markus

    Markus Meng, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Markus Meng

    Buddy Smith Guest

    FYI:
    Linux is not unix. Also, linux does not require an MMU.
    http://www.uclinux.org

    --buddy

    Buddy Smith, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Markus Meng

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Is uclinux the same as Linux? I thought the kernel
    and the executables were considerably different.

    Jim Stewart, Sep 22, 2004
  4. 99% of the kernel code is identical. From 2.6 onwards, uClinux (ie
    nommu) support is integrated into Linus' root source tree. For 2.4
    kernels, uClinux is a patch that *adds* to Linux, nothing is removed.

    In the microblaze port for example, we take drivers written by
    MontaVista for the PPC/V2Pro kernel, and drop them in directly. Some
    small modifcations are required usually due to differences in kernel
    configuration mechanisms, not fundamental architectural issues.

    From an application programming perspective, much of the time apps are
    source compatible between linux and uClinux. I recently took some ntp
    (network time protocol) tools and had then running on my microblaze
    uClinux board in under half an hour. No source code changes required.

    nommu means no fork(), you use vfork instead. Many Linux/Unix programs
    use the sequence fork()/exec() - this is easily ported to vfork. Other,
    more complex uses can be a bit trickier. pthreads works on uClinux
    platforms.

    uClinux uses a different executable file format (called flat binaries),
    rather than ELF. However, the build environment and tools automatically
    handles the creation of these files. Once your board has booted, they
    are just executables, same as any other.

    Read the following excellent article by Dave McCullough if you'd like to
    learn more about the differences (and lack thereof):

    Regards,

    John

    John Williams, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Followup to: <cismeb$85u$>
    However, if you take "Unix-like" as an adjectival phrase, and the
    parenthesis as definitional (therefore avoiding arguments about its
    validity), it makes sense:

    "This would make it possible to run the standard Unix-like Linux,
    i.e. the one which requires an MMU."

    Desipire ucLinux, there is clearly still a win in having an MMU for
    running Linux.

    -hpa

    H. Peter Anvin, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Markus Meng

    Jesse Kempa Guest

    Hi Markus,

    I cannot comment on specifics of future releases, but please watch for
    official press releases concerning Nios II - they will let everyone
    know about new features - stay tuned :)

    Jesse Kempa
    Altera Corp.

    Jesse Kempa, Sep 27, 2004