Am I crazy...custom PrPMC-PMC carrier board?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by jro, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. jro

    jro Guest

    Hello,
    I am new to the PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)world, and have spent the last
    few days coming up to speed on PCI, the different form factors, and how
    everything plays together in hopes of utilizing in an embedded system I
    am working on.

    I am interested in utilizing a PrPMC board (like one of the many
    PowerPC-based boards out there) as the main controller in a small
    embedded system. In addition to this, I would like to be able to add
    in a few peripheral PMC boards (such as those sold at
    www.technobox.com) to add peripherals as needed. Normally, this would
    be reasonably straight forward: purchase the PrPMC controller which
    would act as the main system controller (PCI Monarch), purchase the
    add-on PMC boards (Compact Flash interface/whatever), slap them into a
    carrier board and presto: instant system...

    ....except for the fact that I don't want to use a standard carrier
    board like those that plug into a VMEbus. I would like to develop a
    carrier board that would essentially let me stack PMC boards on top of
    each other (sandwich them) instead of running them side-by-side which
    seems to be the way everyone does it. This would then provide a
    stand-alone configurable embedded system (no rack, just the boards and
    the required power supply on the middle board). At minimum, I would
    like my carrier board to accept one PrPMC module, and one other PMC
    module. If more than two board were needed, then I would consider
    going side by side (unless there is a way to stack 3+ boards up...maybe
    some fancy, hinged connector that ran the PCI bus through ribbon
    cabling???).

    I can certainly envision this setup, so here is my question: am I
    crazy? Is there something I am inherently missing that disallows this
    scenario from working? My background is embedded systems, and this is
    my first crack at diving into this topology. It seems like if you had
    such a carrier board it would be a very nice way to integrate and build
    a high capability, stand-alone embedded system...unless I am missing
    something here...

    If you made it this far, I appreciate it. I'd welcome any feedback and
    would be happy to provide any additional details if needed.

    Regards,
    John O

    jro, Aug 24, 2005