    purchased late August 2007.

    Thanks a ton,
    Bret

    Bret, Apr 9, 2008

  2. Bret

    Paul Guest

    Judging by the November release of Phenom support, an August board probably
    has a BIOS release before the ones shown.

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M2N32-SLI Deluxe

    M2N32-SLI Deluxe

    Phenom 8400 (HD8400WCJ3BGD),2.1GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Triple-Core ALL 1802 2008/03/06
    Phenom 8600 (HD8600WCJ3BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Triple-Core ALL 1802
    Phenom 9100e (HD910OBJ4BGD),1.8GHz,65W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1802
    Phenom 9500 (HD9500WCJ4BGD),2.2GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1503 2007/11/19
    Phenom 9600 (HD9600WCJ4BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1503

    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/...e=en-us&model=M2N32-SLI Premium VISTA Edition

    M2N32-SLI Premium VISTA Edition

    Phenom 8400 (HD8400WCJ3BGD),2.1GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Triple-Core ALL 1101 2008/03/27
    Phenom 8600 (HD8600WCJ3BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Triple-Core ALL 1101
    Phenom 9100e (HD910OBJ4BGD),1.8GHz,65W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 1101
    Phenom 9500 (HD9500WCJ4BGD),2.2GHz,rev.B2,95W,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 0702 2007/11/20
    Phenom 9600 (HD9600WCJ4BGD),2.3GHz,95W,rev.B2,SocketAM2+,Quad-Core ALL 0702

    Sometimes there is an adhesive label on the flash chip, and the BIOS release
    number may be printed on it. The idea is, Asus may program the chips in
    advance at the factory, and then plug them in after the solder and wash
    are finished. If you haven't flash upgraded the BIOS since getting it,
    then the BIOS version would still match the number on the label.

    There is no way to guarantee the response of a BIOS, when the BIOS revision is
    not sufficient to support the processor. In some cases, people manage to hobble
    along with one stick of RAM. In other cases, "she's dead Scotty" is the
    response, with no beep or anything.

    To make the speaker beep an error code, actually takes a fair amount
    of working hardware and programming. The speaker may be controlled by
    the SuperI/O, and the Northbridge, Southbridge, and SuperI/O would
    have to be working to get a beep out of it.

    You can check the Asus forums, of which there should be one forum per
    motherboard model name. There is too much stuff here for me to read.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=M2N32-SLI+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

    Some very recent experiences here with 9850. Worked, even though not in
    the CPU Support list.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...d_id=1&model=M2N32-SLI Deluxe&page=2&count=25

    As for power issues, if the CPU Support page lists 6000+ or 6400+ (125W processors)
    as compatible, then power should not be a problem. It is the boards that don't list
    *any* 125W processors, where you'd expect a problem with 125W processors, or
    with overclocking lower power processors to a 125W power dissipation level.
    So far, the list of boards affected by power issues, should be a short list.
    We're hoping it doesn't become a "new trend".

    Counting Vcore power phases, while it is reassuring, doesn't guarantee a thing.
    A board with 8 phases, versus one with 3 phases, does not guarantee 8/3 times
    as much power. The 8 phase coils are usually smaller ones, as are the MOSFETs.
    So no linear extrapolation of power level is possible by just counting phases.

    It is too bad, stating the design power limit of the Vcore, is not a legal
    requirement :) The guy designing the circuit, certainly knows what that
    number is.

    I think there *are* technical solutions to the "new processor" "old BIOS"
    problem, but so far, no motherboard manufacturer seems interested in
    addressing this issue. They're more interested in adding glowing LEDs
    to the motherboard, or putting a chrome bumper with the company name
    on it, on the heatsink.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 9, 2008