AMD 3200+ (400 FSB) shows as 2400+. A substitution rip-off or fluke?

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Photon, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Photon

    Photon Guest

    Just bought and AMD 3200 XP (400mhz FSB) processor for my new system.
    The problem is that both Win XP-Pro and Norton Utilities say that the
    processor that I have in there is a 2400+ XP (1.8 GHz). Have I been
    ripped off, or is this just some quirky display error related to my
    choice of MB or something. I wouljd appreciate any and all help. Is
    there a way to go on-line and have AMD look at my processor and tell
    me what it really is?

    My System: Windows XP _ Pro - Academic version (With SP 1)
    AMD 3200+ XP (400 FSB) processor (SUPOSSEDLY)
    Shuttle AN35N Ultra v1.1 with Onboard audio and LAN
    Two 512 MB Crucial PC-3200 OEM set up as dual channel
    ATI AIW 9800 Pro
    250 GB Maxtor Ultra ATA/133
    200 GB Maxtor Ultra ATA/133
    Buslink DVD-ROM drive - model DR16
    ` I/O Magic Dual Format 4X DVD +/- RW/+/- R
    Generic case with 400 Watt PS

    Many thanks for any help

    Photon, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Photon

    EGK Guest

    I don't have this board but just off the top of my head i'd say the board is
    probably backward compatible for slower cpu's so the bus speed defaults to
    slower then the 400mhz. You probably have to go in to the bios
    configuration menu by pressing delete when the machine first starts and set
    this in the Frequency configuration. Check your manual.

    EGK, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Photon

    Photon Guest

    Greetings EGK,
    I changed the front side bus from 133 to 200, and, just like magic,
    the 3200+ value shows up as the processor speed now. Thank you for
    your time and patience in helping a newbie out. I got all worked up
    over nothing. I will sleep well tonight though. Thanks again.

    Photon

    Photon, Mar 2, 2004