AMD Athlon MP 2800+ Configuration

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Marcus Jacobs, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Dear Group

    I am going to build a dual AMD Athlon 2800+ workstation. I have some
    questions concerning its configuration.

    Firstly, does anyone have any reccomendations for a mobo? I have been
    told in the past to avoid anything with a VIA chipset. I should also
    add that in the future this machine will serve as a master to some
    other slave units. Secondly, I will equip this workstation with 4
    sticks of Micron 512 MB ECC memory but I am unsure of what kind
    (PC2100 or PC2700) of memory does the Anthon MP 2800+ supports. I also
    have questions concerning the video card. I will be using this mostly
    for 3D rendering. The renders will for the most parts be still images
    so I have very little use for using it for realtime walkthroughs. I
    should also mention, other than the occasions that I choose to fire up
    my "Need for Speed - Porshe Unleashed", I will do very little gaming
    with this machine. My main concern for a video card will be its
    compaibility with the mobo and the CAD software that I use. Also, does
    anyone have any recomendations for a HD, sound card, and DVD-RW.

    Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus Jacobs, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Marcus Jacobs

    Wes Newell Guest

    VIA doesn't make dual chipsets. Only AMD does. Search for what you want on
    pricewatch. I think the MPX chipset is the latest.
    All MP's run on a 133Mhz FSB. Still I'd get faster ram. It's backward
    compatable.
    Video card will be the most important here. Just make sure it's a full 128
    bit card and not a 64bit card.

    Wes Newell, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Thank's for the info.

    I am looking at a Tyan mb. I am unsure of whether to get the Thunder
    K7X or Tiger MPX. There is a bit of a price difference between the
    two. Could anyone advise of any cost/benifit to getting the Thunder in
    lieu of the Tiger.

    Also, because this is a 2 processor workstation, does anyone have any
    advice for a case and power supply. I know not where to begin in my
    search because I am unsure of the dimensions and power requirements of
    the mb. BTW, is it just me but does it seem as if all of the cases
    available for home built machines look very.....cheap.

    Thanks

    Marcus

    Marcus Jacobs, Dec 15, 2003