AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267) t'bird upgrade or replacement?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Jim, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm very happy with my t'bird processor but would like to know if there's
    a better one that I can swap it for to improve the general speed of my
    computer. The more time I spend looking for an alternative the more
    confused I get because I just don't know what a suitable replacement
    might be. So, please, look at my current specs below and help me out.

    Motherboard
    CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    Motherboard Name MSI K7T Power/Pro/Pro2/Pro2-A/Turbo/Turbo2/Turbo Limited Edition
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8363A Apollo KT133A

    CPU Properties
    CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1333 MHz (5 x 267)
    CPU Alias Thunderbird
    CPU Stepping A9
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

    CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 453 Pin PGA / 242 Contact Slot A Cartridge
    Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm / 13.99 cm x 6.27 cm x 1.64 cm
    Transistors 37 million
    Process Technology 6Mi, 0.18 um, CMOS
    Die Size 120 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.75 V
    I/O Voltage 1.6 V
    Typical Power 34 - 65 W (depending on clock speed)
    Maximum Power 38 - 72 W (depending on clock speed)

    CPU Manufacturer
    Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

    Thanks.

    Jim, Dec 15, 2007

  2. Jim

    Paul Guest

    Your "Motherboard Name" above seems kinda long :) Which of the
    many possibilities is it ? Check the surface of the motherboard,
    for some white lettering with the name in it. There are some
    boards here, beginning with K7T, that might match what you find.
    Recognize, that some of the motherboards don't officially
    support the fastest processors, which is why the exact name
    is important. (A faster processor may work in them, or maybe
    the BIOS will kick up a fuss. One change between older and newer
    models, was the addition of the PLL filter for the newer processors.)

    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=searchresult&keywords=k7t

    When you figure out which motherboard, there is a CPU Support tab
    on each product page. That will give some idea of which processor
    would fit.

    Depending on what Ebay has to offer, this could be a cheap
    upgrade. The question would be, whether it is enough of an
    upgrade to justify the trouble you are going to. I guess it
    all depends on what your performance objectives are, as to
    whether the upgrade makes sense or not.

    If this was my upgrade project, I'd be looking for a dual core
    AM2 socket processor and another motherboard. The difference
    would be night and day (but you need the budget for it). The
    cheapest dual core is $56.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103046

    The fancy one (6000+) is $160.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

    A new motherboard with integrated graphics, would avoid the
    need for an immediate video card upgrade. Having to dump an
    expensive AGP card, is what makes some people think twice
    about this plan.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 15, 2007

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    It's the K7T Turbo 2 (MS-6330 v5.0)
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/K7Tturbo2.htm
    That's an excellent page, Paul. Going by the information
    linked from your link, http://tinyurl.com/2dtetm , all I
    need do is decide which is the best;

    Duron 1G (Spitfire)
    Duron 1.3G (Morgan)
    Athlon (Thunderbird) 1.4G (Thunderbird)
    AthlonXP 1800+ (Palomino)

    What would you say? Quite frankly, I haven't a clue.
    It probably doesn't make sense to change something I'm perfectly
    happy with but I'd like to be in the position where I can say that
    I'm glad I did though. Who knows what I might be missing out on
    if I don't upgrade? I'm not much a gamer

    Moto GP2
    Tiger Woods 2007
    Cueballworld

    but even these could be improved with a faster cpu, hopefully.

    My main reason for looking for an upgrade is that I find HD trailers
    jerky and slow, and looking around Google tells me that Quicktime
    is CPU hungry, thereby indicating (at least to me) that I need to
    upgrade to a faster CPU.
    Not if you'd just forked out nearly seventy green queens on memory
    sticks, you wouldn't.
    Very nice. Thanks for those links.
    I'm currently using;

    Device Description GeForce FX 5500
    Adapter String GeForce FX 5500
    BIOS String Version 4.34.20.69.00
    Chip Type GeForce FX 5500
    DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
    Installed Drivers nv4_disp (6.14.10.9131 - nVIDIA Detonator 91.31)
    Memory Size 256 MB

    I'll upgrade that soon, too.
    Thanks Paul.

    Jim, Dec 15, 2007
  4. Jim

    Sir-Les-MP Guest

    if its just a processor upgrade then the board you have indicated will
    take up to a AthlonXP 2600+ thoroughbred with a bios update

    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...od_no=285&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=#menu

    that would be your best option this should give you 2100mhz before over
    clocking which gives you twice the processing power that you have now
    how ever finding an old xp2600+ with FSB of 266mhz processor will be hard

    Sir-Les-MP, Dec 15, 2007
  5. Jim

    Paul Guest

    Well, this page, off the link at the top of my reply, lists more than
    the one in the original product page. This is CPUSupport for K7T Turbo2.

    http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?...od_no=285&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=#menu

    AthlonXP 2600+ 133 Auto OK

    That particular processor is hard to find. If you search for 2600+,
    you're more likely to find the 166 (FSB333) one instead. But your
    motherboard is FSB266, which is why the 2600+/FSB266 is the fastest
    one listed.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20031018050306/http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

    Another alternative, would be to use an AthlonXP-M (mobile) processor.
    I have one of those in my A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, and you can set
    the multiplier on those in the BIOS. (I run mine like it is a 3200+.)
    Whether that works, really depends on whether the BIOS has the necessary
    control over the multiplier or not. Fiddling with the multiplier can be
    an involved mod, and it doesn't always go smoothly. In my case, the
    motherboard is what made it easy. (The only thing my motherboard is
    missing, is it only controls 4 of 5 FID signals, so I cannot get the
    high multiplier values if I need them. With your FSB266 limitation,
    I suspect you'd want the high multiplier values, like more than
    12.5 x 133.)

    The 2600+ FSB266 processor would be a more straightforward purchase
    and installation (no fooling around necessary), but the thing is,
    are there any for sale out there ? They were hard to find, even when
    they were being manufactured.

    In terms of evaluating how things are going, you can do ctrl-alt-delete
    and bring up the Task Manager. Run your Quicktime decoded video and see
    if the CPU is pegged. The chart created might give you some idea whether
    you need only a small improvement, or a really big improvement.

    OK, you've spent 70 on memory, but how much would you spend on
    a video upgrade, and in the end, would the newer AGP video card
    be reusable in your next motherboard upgrade ? At some point,
    you have to decide whether the old platform is worth building
    around. Again, I wouldn't recommend investing in an expensive AGP
    video card, for the reason I stated in the previous post - you're
    going to be clutching that thing, and refusing to part with it :)

    BTW - these days, the ATI 1950Pro AGP is probably the fastest
    easy to get card you can find. The Nvidia ones may be harder to
    find now, at least new at retail. Your board is AGP 4x, and that
    leaves more possibilities. For some background on AGP, I find
    this page handy:

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    X1950 Pro is pretty far up the charts:

    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=725&model2=716&chart=275

    The X1950 Pro is also available in PCI Express, if you have
    a change of heart and go for an AM2 socket processor :)

    There are all sorts of intermediate upgrades. For example,
    you could look for newer motherboards that still use the
    RAM you bought. The RAM you bought is probably DDR, so you
    could look for a S754 or S939 AGP motherboard. The S754
    go up to 3700+, and there are no dual cores, so that is
    still a bit limiting - but people who had S754 were
    happy when gaming with it. In that sense, the S939
    wasn't essential, and S754 could do the job.

    Where the S939 helps, is you can get dual core processors
    for it, and that gives a smoother desktop experience. But
    finding all the ingredients, at the right prices, is a lot
    harder than just moving to AM2 and shopping for new
    stuff. I wonder what that RAM you bought would fetch if you
    sold it :)

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 15, 2007
  6. Jim

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well, now that we know it's a Socket A MB, and not a slot A, your options
    improve considerably.
    I haven't found a socket A board yet that wouldn't run any Socket A cpu I
    put in it. You jave the KT133A chipset. my old board has the older KT133
    chipset and I've run it at speeds from 600MHz to 2400+MHz with some of the
    newer XP cpu's that of course the website says won't work.:) If you
    search the web you can find what others have run in the same board you
    have. My brother had one just like it or maybe an older model That I put
    my 2100+ Tbred core cpu and he used it for about a year before I gave him
    an Athlon 64. IIRC, his was also an older KT133 chipset without multiplier
    control and only a 100MHz FSB. many have used 2400+ XP's in your board.
    Search google groups for k7t turbo2 2400 and you'll see.

    See AMD cpu in sigline for lots of info on running cpu's in boards that
    supposedly won't run them.:)

    Or just download all of this group and search. Been discussed hundreds of
    times.

    Wes Newell, Dec 15, 2007
  7. Jim

    Bill Guest

    Per my reply in another group, I was thinking you had a Slot-A board.
    Please disregard.
    According to AMD: http://www2.amd.com/us-
    en/recmobo/DetailHandler/1,,30_182_869_4348%5E7923,00.html?queryID=
    2017

    http://tinyurl.com/23o2ex

    So: http://www.memorytek.com/index.php?cPath=38_93

    has some options for you. I'd try the fastest chip you can get your
    motherboard to run. Not being very familiar with your board I couldn't
    say for sure, but

    http://www.memorytek.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_93&products_id=503

    might work and

    http://www.memorytek.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_93&products_id=460

    http://www.memorytek.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_93&products_id=501

    might also, depending on your bios limitations.

    Of those I'd go with the XP 1800+, but there are others to consider.
    See above.
    I'd see what retailers have on hand before I'd resort to E-bay. Less
    problems if you have to return the processor for any reasons.
    As I said in my other post, you may want to consider a used system.
    There should be a bunch of them available after Christmas when people
    get rid of their old systems that got replaced by Christmas gifts.
    <snip>

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 15, 2007