AMD ATHLON XP 2.200+ FSB 266 - RAM COMPATIBILITY SPEED ?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by rodrigo, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. rodrigo

    rodrigo Guest

    I have a Asus A7V8X-X MOTHERBOARD WITH AN AMD ATLHON XP 2.200+ RUNNING
    A 1.8GZ
    WITH 512 DDR(266 FSB).

    http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X-X&langs=09

    I WENT TO BIOS AND TRIED TO CHANGE IT TO RUN AT 2.25GZ BUT I GOT THIS
    MESSAGE:

    ACCORDING TO CPU EXTERNAL FREQUENCY SETTING, SYSTEM MEMORY CAN ONLY
    OPERATE AT FREQUENCY HIGHER THAN OR EQUAL TO 333MHZ, PLEASE MAKE SURE
    DDR MAXIMUM FREQUENCY IS NOT LESS THAN 333MHZ.

    MY QUESTION IS, CAN I SET MY MOTHERBOARD TO GO TO 2.25GZ INSTEAD OF
    1.8GZ WITH MY CURRENT CONFIGURATION.
    WILL IT CRASH/BURN MY MOTHERBOARD IF I SETUP TO RUN AT 2.25? IF CAN
    THAN IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE WHAT I READ IN OTHER SOURCES THAT THIS
    MOTHERBOARD MAX SPEED GOES ONLY TO 1.8GZ.

    THANKS

    ROD

    rodrigo, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Hi rodrigo, first off it is not polite to post in uppercase.
    Secondly i hav a similar setup....A7V8X rev 104
    Tbred B XP2200+{266) 1024 DDR(pc2700) 1800 @2171 (13 x 167)
    I have had this cpu up to 2400 but backed down to achieve stability because
    of dvd re-encoding
    But it will quite happily run everything @ 2300
    Thirdly is your XP2200 a Tbred B ?
    If not you will not achieve these figures so easily

    Fig

    Fig \(Cable\), Jul 23, 2003

  3. Update.........

    Core temps are no greater than 33deg C @ idle 41deg C @ fullload
    System temp approx 31 deg C

    Fig

    Fig \(Cable\), Jul 23, 2003
  4. rodrigo

    rodrigo Guest

    Sorry about that Fig,

    Actually this the correct configuration of my board.

    Asus A7V8X-X Socket A DDR MB with Athlon XP 2200+ (1.80Ghz) 266FSB CPU

    The second post sounde like greek to me. Too technical for my
    knowlowdge.
    Ok. You said you run DDR memory, but what FSB, 266 or 333 is yours?
    And how come you achieve 2400 if max is 2.200+. Can you Turbo the CPU
    like the Lanborguini? -:)

    thanks

    Rod

    rodrigo, Jul 24, 2003
  5. rodrigo

    meshJ Guest

    What's your cooling set up? Just curious, I have 2200 TBred A clocked to
    1.9GHz with 180 FSB and am soon going to be revamping the cooling.

    meshJ

    meshJ, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Thats ok mate, it is an honest mistake as i too hav done that as well
    before.
    I am running pc2700(333) DDR ram, my cpu fsb is 133(266) but i can actually
    achieve a fsb of 167(334)DDR
    At the moment my machine is running a fsb of 167(334)DDR with my Tbred B
    XP2200+ and a multiplier of 13.
    That is 13 X 167 = 2171mhz
    I am running a low end setup with water cooling to achieve those temps.
    My cpu default speed is 1800mhz
    If you can tell us what the codeing letters on your cpu core is we may be
    able to work out wich core you are running.

    Fig

    Fig \(Cable\), Jul 24, 2003
  7. meshj i am running a Thermaltake Aquarious ll water cooling setup
    You will not get much higher speeds with the Tbred A core
    My cpu is a Tbred B core....... my core goes much higher

    Fig

    Fig \(Cable\), Jul 24, 2003