    for this processor???? Within reason price wise...

    Thanks in advance

    Doug

    cdh55, Aug 22, 2003

  2. cdh55

    S.Heenan Guest

    If it's running that hot
    1) it isn't seated properly
    2) too much or too little thermal interface was used.
    3) the ambient temperature is very hot
    4) case airflow is minimal
    5) it's overclocked too high for the current heatsink and fan.
    6) the temp sensor is off.

    Correct any of these and see if temps drop.

    S.Heenan, Aug 22, 2003

  3. cdh55

    BF Guest

    Are you sure it is the HS/Fan? What is the room temp? What is the case
    temp? Do you have good airflow through the case? The best fan is not going
    to help if it is hot inside the case to begin with.

    BF, Aug 22, 2003
  4. cdh55

    Doug G. Guest

    IMO, for the price you can't beat the Thermalright AX-7
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/therax7.html It's cheep, and cools
    right up there with the high dollar heatsinks.

    Doug

    Doug G., Aug 22, 2003
  5. cdh55

    Pug Fugley Guest

    You've not done something right. The stock cooler is quite good. You might
    get it 5 degrees cooler if you buy a nice $40 sink/fan combo which you
    already stated you won't do.

    So, you've either installed it incorrectly, or have a poor case with no
    ventilation.

    Pug Fugley, Aug 22, 2003
  6. cdh55

    Buffalo Guest

    It may well be the the heatsink is not seating properly with the cpu OR,
    most likely, the tape on the thermal pad on the heatsink wasn't removed when
    it was installed.
    Note, if you check this by removing the heatsink, you either need a new
    thermal pad or some heatsink compound.
    If you are going to use heatsink compound, make sure to remove all traces of
    the old thermal pad form the cpu and the heatsink.
    My 2100+ Palomino would run up to 60C with the stock hs/fan so I bought a
    better unit.

    Enclosed is a reply by Wes Newell:
    "Prices including shiipping.
    TR2-M1 $13
    TR2-M2 $15
    Aeroflow $23

    Test system:
    Abit KT7-Raid, 1600+ Palomino overclocked and over voltaged to 1760MHz @
    1.85vcore. This is the hottest cpu I have.

    The M1 and M2 aren't really that close to each other in design, The M1 HS
    is wider and has an 80x25mm fan. The M2 and Aeroflow have the same YS Tech
    TMD fan 70x15mm 36cfm.

    Idle temps
    Cooler MB CPU Fan Diff. Noise
    TR2-M1 26.5 44.8` 2800 18.3 Low
    TR2-M2 27.4 51.3 3200 23.4 Low
    TR2-M2 27.5 46.7 4500 19.2 Low
    TR2-M2 27.4 44.2 5600 16.8 Med
    Aeroflow 27.0 40.8 5600 13.8 Med

    Load temps
    TR2-M1 26.7 50.4 2800 23.7 Low
    TR2-M2 27.8 66.8 3200 39.0 Low
    TR2-M2 27.8 54.9 4500 27.1 Low
    TR2-M2 27.9 51.3 5600 23.4 Med
    Aeroflow 27.4 45.5 5600 18.1 Med

    Notes
    I had already removed, lapped, and reinstalled the cooper block on the M1.
    Nothing was done to the others, except the fan burned out on the Aeroflow
    and I used the same TMD for both the Aeroflow and M2 test.

    Conclusion
    I was a little surpised, but the Aeroflow is a pretty clear winner here.
    However, I think replacing the slow very quiet fan on the M1 may have
    actually brought it close to the Aeroflow. I was a little disappointed in
    the performance of the M2. I had expected better from all the reviews I've
    read. Still, any one of these should provide a very suitable cooler for
    any of the XP cpu's. On a stock 2100+ Tbred B core running 1733MHz @ 1.60v
    vcore, they all kept idle temps in low 30's and in the low 40's under
    load. So take your pick.:)

    If you rely to this, please remove cross posting.

    Buffalo, Aug 24, 2003
  7. cdh55

    cdh55 Guest

    I found the problem...There are vents on the one side of the case at
    the bottom..I had the case setting beside the desk with the case
    against the side of the desk blocking the vent holes..Moved the case
    out and the temps dropped to 62C at idle, and 65C - 67C under load...I
    think that is better...Thanks for the replies....

    Doug

    cdh55, Aug 25, 2003
  8. cdh55

    BF Guest

    That still seems high. My 2100+ running at 2100MHZ is 32C idle and 45C load
    with a system temp of 27C. My room temp is 74F or about 23C. What is the
    system or MB temp? Also and the most important, what is your room temp.
    Maybe you said this earlier. If the heatsink is working correctly you have
    an air flow problem case.

    BF, Aug 25, 2003
  9. cdh55

    cdh55 Guest

    Now, I may have made a mistake in what I said....This is a 2100+
    Palamino, not a T - bird.....Would that make a difference???? It
    always ran around 62 C......I thought that was abt normal...I have I
    think a good case...It is a Enlight Mid-Tower case with 2 case
    fans...I also have an Antec 430 watt True Power power supply with 2
    fans on the power supply..I have the factory fan on the processor...If
    I made a mistake an mis-led all of you I'm sorry.....

    Doug

    cdh55, Aug 25, 2003
  10. cdh55

    Doug G. Guest

    That is high for my liking. You would probably get a good 10 to 15c or
    more drop in that temp using the AX-7 I recommended with a 32 to 38CFM
    fan on it.

    Of corse your case temps will be the controlling factor in just how much
    lower it will get.

    Doug

    Doug G., Aug 26, 2003
  11. cdh55

    Wes Newell Guest

    I just recently posted a comparison of 3 coolers using a Palomino core
    clocked at 1760MHz and 1.85v and that's about as hot as I could get the
    cpu core. All were under 45C at idle. It's also in an enlight case, but I
    had the side cover off. Might want to search back through the group and
    have a look. Search for TR2 in subject. Palomino's do run hotter, but it
    shouldn't be that hot IMO.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2003
  12. cdh55

    cdh55 Guest

    Maybe I need to remove the heatsink and put some grease in there and
    reseat the fan/heatsink...BTW my motherboard temp is 35C..Is that too
    hot??? Is there a particular grease that is best????

    Thanks

    Doug

    cdh55, Aug 26, 2003
  13. cdh55

    Wes Newell Guest

    I hope you meant replace the grease. That's a worth a try. As far MB
    temps, some boards read them different than others so it's hard to say. if
    the cpu temp drops less than 5C with the side cover off, then it's
    probably ok. If it drops much more than that, you might want to see if you
    can improve the case airflow. My enlight case had a lot of case material
    for a fan guard on the intake fan in the front. Taking a pair of diagonal
    cutters to it and removing the guard doubled the airflow. I've found this
    to be the same for about every case I've ever bought. The plastic front
    cover also didn't have enough holes in it. When placed back on it pretty
    much stopped tthe airflow from the front fan. Removing the non stuctural
    plastic from the bottom and then enlarging the small holes in the front
    with a drill took care of that. There was 32 holes in the front, but they
    were only 1/32 inch. I made the top and bottom eight 1/4 inch. On the
    inside bottom, I cut out a strip of plastic about 3.5 inches by about 3/4
    inch. Now the airflow from the front fan is as it should be. One thing for
    sure. High case temps are the start of high cpu temps and is as important
    as the cpu cooler itself. I've never seen the retail cooler, but from what
    I hear, the older ones weren't very good. If you have your doubts about
    yours, even the cheapest one I tested is more than good enough to use with
    any cpu. Good luck. That's about all I can think of that might help. OH,
    the grease. Ones as good as another as long as it's applied properly.
    Proven in many many test.

    Wes Newell, Aug 26, 2003