    void if you return it with anything other than the original heat sink and
    fan. If anyone can help, email is russmiles at hotmail dot com
    Cheers, Russell.

    R_Supp, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Was this explained to you when you bought it? I can't believe
    that consumer protection laws in Oz could be so weak. Bring it
    back and demand another one, don't take no for an answer.

    Here in Ireland, goods must be of merchantable quality and
    fit for the purpose for which they are sold. If they are not,
    you can demand your money back.

    For those of us who don't want to get involved with the workings
    of the: "Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act", there is another
    approach you could try.

    Wait until the shop is crowded with customers, Friday afternoon is
    usually a good time. Go to the shop and start yelling very loudly
    about defective goods and the shops failure to honour the warranty.
    Most retailers don't want this kind of publicity.

    I friend of mine had problems with a brand new satellite TV system.
    When the retailer refused to replace it with a new one, He stood at
    the shop doorway with the Sat receiver under his arm. He stopped every
    customer at the door and advised them not buy anything in the store.
    They soon changed their attitude. He left about 10 minutes later,
    with a full cash refund in his pocket.

    Regards,

    E.S.

    Eamon Skelton, Sep 6, 2003

  3. R_Supp

    Alan Guest

    Your heatsink/fan is part of your AMD warranty. If the CPU ceases to
    function, AMD will ask for the serial number off the Heatsink fan to verify
    it is a retail version with the 3 year warranty. The OEM version has 90
    days warranty, no box, no heatsink.

    Therefore, as the heatsink must be covered under the warranty, and no one
    should sell theirs as they would be relinquishing their own warranty. I had
    to ship one back to AMD and they requested the heatsink/fan also.

    See your dealer, demand a replacement, or purchase a heatsink/fan, a good
    one is not expensive.

    Alan

    Alan, Sep 6, 2003
  4. R_Supp

    R_Supp Guest

    Russ replies, We have Consumer Affairs here and, by and large, do a pretty
    good job looking after us and I will be talking to them during the coming
    week as it is Sunday today.
    Yep. Been there, done that and got the T shirt for going into a store on a
    busy day and raising the voice a bit so I can get the buggers attention. I
    also belong to a large motorcycle club so I ride the Beemer in and park
    where it can be seen. As such, I am also wearing my leathers and I must
    admit my problem is usually resolved pretty quick.
    The problem I have at my favourite computer parts store is that I have
    been buying parts there for years and they all know me well for the softie
    that I am, so yelling at them is not an option.

    My real bitch is with AMD and the way their warranty is worded. They
    will also recommend other cooler combos such as Volcano, but will not honour
    warranty if you were to use one of their recommended coolers.
    I just fail to see why a consumable item like a fan is not available to AMD
    customers.
    Cheers, Russ.

    R_Supp, Sep 7, 2003
  5. R_Supp

    R_Supp Guest

    Alan, I do believe my dealer would give me a replacement fan if he could as
    he has "gone the extra yard" for me in the past. The ordering officer for
    the shop tells me he just can`t get them from their suppliers. I know he is
    tied in with the Asian importers as they are our closest neighbours and this
    may have something to do with it.
    The only reason I posed my question to the overclockers is that they
    know they have blown their warranty instantly for starters. Secondly, I
    doubt a serious overclocker would even consider overclocking using the
    barely adequate stock AMD cooler so I reckon there should be a truckload of
    stock coolers laying around gathering dust.
    I can get a Volcano 9+ at the right price which would probably be the
    sensible thing to do considering it can get quite hot here on the Gold Coast
    and in summer I run my computer with the side off and a small personal fan
    blowing into it just to keep the whole thing cool.
    Problem still exists that as I am on a fixed income I have to take
    the warranty into account.
    Thanks for your reply, Russ.

    R_Supp, Sep 7, 2003