  1. Zephyr

    Zephyr Guest

    What is a reasonable operating temp.?

    Zephyr, Sep 10, 2006

  2. Zephyr

    Sparkle Guest

    Mine approaches 45°C on a hot day, when it's so hot up here in my loft
    that I can hardly stand it.
    I'd start to worry about 55°C - 60°C.

    See http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon XP.html for specs of
    various processors.

    Sparkle, Sep 10, 2006

  3. Zephyr

    Wes Newell Guest

    Depends on which core you have, ambient temp, case temp, but normally it
    shouldn't be more than 25C above case temp under 100% load.

    Wes Newell, Sep 10, 2006
  4. Zephyr

    Zephyr Guest

    This processor is an AMD +2000 [rated] Thoroughbred running at 53ºC [127º
    F]. The case seems to run around 40ºC [104º F]. When the CPU hits around
    131ºF it stops working.... Any cooling ideas?

    Zephyr, Sep 13, 2006
  5. Zephyr

    Wes Newell Guest

    The case is too hot. What's room temp? What kind of case is it? What case
    fans do you have in it now? Where are mounted? Intake or exhaust? Is the
    CPU a Tbred A (cpuid 680) or B (cpuid 681). Make/model of cpu cooler?
    Answer all this and I can then give decent advice.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2006
  6. Zephyr

    Zephyr Guest

    Front intake fan, rear exhaust fan [cool master], the CPU fan is a Volcano
    fan with heat sink package, there are 5 hard drives running [probably my
    problem]. I replaced the rear exhaust fan and the system now runs with a
    case temperature of 98º F and a CPU temperature of 118º F. The case I have
    now probably is too small for all the drives .... the answer may be for me
    to get a larger case with installed fans on the side cover?

    --
    Zyp

    Zephyr, Sep 16, 2006
  7. Zephyr

    Zephyr Guest

    Ok;

    I've replaced the 'smaller' 9 bay 300 watt case with a 12 bay 500 watt case
    [more better for 5 hard drives]... I've installed one exhaust fan to the
    rear, installed an extra fan bringing air in, with temp. sensor fan speed]
    on an external duct from the side cover to the CPU... made sure the cables
    are not impeding the air flow, and, viola... now after heaving processing
    the CPU is at 102º F and the case temp. is at 87º F.... thinking a second
    fan in the front, but lets see..... any suggestions?

    --
    Zyp

    Zephyr, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Zephyr

    Wes Newell Guest

    I think you are good to go with what you have now. Another fan might help
    a little more, but not a lot.

    Wes Newell, Sep 18, 2006