AMD Athlon XP2500+ vs AMD Athlon XP3000+

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by David. E. Goble, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Hi all;

    Sorry if this has been talked about before, but...

    AMD Athlon XP2500+ vs AMD Athlon XP3000+

    Apart from price, what advantages would going with the 2500+ be
    against the 3000+.

    The other parts are;

    CASE-V1000C - THERMALTAKE Xaser III Steel Case Blue
    Antec TruePower TrueControl 550W ATX PSU
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0
    Gigacube ATI 9800 128MB DDR

    I am looking to run at least 2.6ghz, without too much trouble.

    How much difference would there be between the 3000+ 333fsb and the
    3000+ 400fsb?

    If I get a cpu with 333fsb, any use in getting memory faster than
    pc3200 cs2? Will be looking to get at least 1 x 512Mb stick.

    David. E. Goble, Oct 27, 2003

  2. David. E. Goble

    Ben Pope Guest

    None, they're the same core.
    Good luck.

    2.3GHz, without trouble
    2.4GHz, distinctly possible.
    2.5GHz, pushing your luck, even with very good cooling and lots of voltage.
    2.6GHz, extreme cooling and lots of voltage and lots of luck. You'll almost
    ceertainly probably need >2.0V
    None, same core. Default clock speed on the 400fsb slightly less.
    Only if you plan to run the FSB >200MHz.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 27, 2003

  3. David. E. Goble

    rstlne Guest

    I got a question ben
    will his 2500+ oc to 3200+ use the same amount of power (or more to the
    point product the same amount of heat) as the 3200+

    :)

    rstlne, Oct 27, 2003
  4. David. E. Goble

    Ben Pope Guest

    Given the same voltage, I don't see why there would be any more power
    consumption of a 2500+ than with a 3200+.

    I'll reword it: A Barton core at 11*200MHz being driven at 1.65V should
    consume the same amount of power as a Barton core at 11*200MHz being driven
    at 1.65V.

    :)

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 27, 2003
  5. I do not understand... they run at different speeds...
    Ok I could live with 2.4 possible, is this on the 2500+/3000+ or
    both???

    I would have thought you could oc the 3000+ more than the 2500+!
    Ok! any ideas on which would be best. Pc3500/pc3700 and at what
    latencies cs2...?
    Thanks for your reply...

    David. E. Goble, Oct 27, 2003
  6. David. E. Goble

    Ben Pope Guest

    Since they are the same core, both.

    That motherboard has been known to go as far as 230MHz (ish, some poeple
    will claim more), so PC3700 will give you known timings at those pseeds.

    However, my Corsair 3200LL does 220MHz 5-2-2-2, which is good enough for me.

    You'll want CAS2, the other timings aren't nearly as important.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 27, 2003
  7. David. E. Goble

    Wes Newell Guest

    The default speeds of the cpu's are defined by the bridges on the outside
    of the core. Since the FSB and multiplier is not locked, you can set the
    speed to whatever you want as long as the cpu will run that fast. The
    2500+ default is 11x166. The 3000+ has 2 models. One has a default of
    13x166, and the other is 10.5x200 I think. The 3200+ is 11x200. Since you
    can change the default multiplier and FSB, the model number doesn't really
    mean much. IUOW's, you can clock a 2500+ the same as a 3200+, or you could
    even clock it down to something much lower than a 2500+. Same for the
    3200+.
    Depends on how lucky you get, as far as the cpu goes. You might get a
    2500+ that will clock at 2500MHz and you might get a 3000+ that won't even
    clock at 2400MHz or the other way around.
    They're the same cpu. Only the defaults are different.

    This will work well.
    Buffalo Technology 512MB 6 Layer PC3700 DDR Memory Module 32X8 (Winbond
    Module), DD466-512 - OEM
    $99 at newegg.

    Wes Newell, Oct 27, 2003
  8. Hi All;

    Thanks to all the replies. Here is what I will be after;

    CASE-V1000C - THERMALTAKE Xaser III Steel Case Blue
    Antec TruePower TrueControl 550W ATX PSU
    ABIT NF7-S v2.0
    Gigacube ATI 9800 128MB DDR
    Corsair 1024MB TWINX-3700 DDR (will this run at cs2???)
    AMD Athlon XP2500+

    What do you think?

    David. E. Goble, Oct 28, 2003
  9. In
    Seems pretty good, but I'm not sure the PC3700 will run at those speeds. If
    a 200MHz frontside bus is your goal, then PC3200LL will do you fine from
    Corsair, and is probably a bit cheaper too. Have a look at Corsair's
    website http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html to see what I mean
    about the memory timings - they have PC3700 running at CAS3

    Stephen Webber, Oct 28, 2003
  10. I have seen some forums say they can do cs2 timings... But not many...

    I am a bit hesident, but what the hell.... lol

    David. E. Goble, Oct 28, 2003
  11. David. E. Goble

    Ben Pope Guest

    From anecdotal evidence you are likely to have a better chance of running
    CAS2 at 220MHz with 3200LL, then the 3700.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 28, 2003