AMD/ATI scores a significant victory over Nvidia in G92 vs RV670 battle

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/03/nvidia-admits-defeat-g92-vs

    Nvidia admits defeat in G92 vs. RV670 battle

    3DMark wars

    By Theo Valich: Friday, 05 October 2007, 9:39 AM

    IN THE FAR EAST, 3DMark is everything. You can say whatever you want
    about canned benchmarks, but nobody can dodge the influence of the
    3DMark06 benchmark.

    It's been the same story with previous iterations of graphics cards,
    and the same will happen with the next, DX10-only workout. When that
    is coming out, only Futuremark knows.

    But something very significant happened in this round of the war, at
    least according to our highly-ranked sources.

    This time around, Nvidia did not tout its G92_200 series as the
    fastest thing since Niki Lauda, but rather admitted defeat in this all-
    popular synthetic benchmark at the hands of a yet-unnamed Radeon HD
    part.

    A reference board from Nvidia is capable of scoring 10,800 3DMarks,
    while a reference board from ATI will score around 11,400 3DMarks, or
    a clear 550-600 points advantage.

    This is a massive leap over previous-gen parts. The current
    generation's high-end performer from Nvidia, the 8800Ultra scores
    12,500 points. Seeing a mainstream, $250 part scoring barely a
    thousand less than a current $599 card only makes us wonder how those
    owners that coughed up so much will feel.

    When it comes to ATI's part, you know what to expect in this synthetic
    benchmark - outscoring Radeon HD 2900XT is a default mode of operation
    for RV670XT. At least in lower resolutions.

    Partners are less than happy with Nvidia board politics as well, but
    this is a subject of another story. µ

    AirRaid, Oct 5, 2007

  2. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    At last, some good news from AMD

    Jeremy Laird
    04 Oct 2007 12:48 GMT

    It's all been a bit doom and gloom at AMD of late. Both its big
    launches in 2007, the Radeon HD 2900 series graphics chips and its new
    Barcelona quad-core CPU architecture, have flirted with outright flop.

    But if recent rumours of a killer new midrange graphics chip from
    graphics division ATI are true, there's hope yet for AMD.

    As we reported earlier today, the new chip (codenamed RV670) promises
    to be more or less as powerful as ATI's existing flagship, the Radeon
    HD 2900 XT. Crucially, all 320 stream processors from the 2900 XT are
    present and accounted for. But thanks to the use of a much finer 55nm
    production process (the 2900 XT is an 80nm design), the new chip is
    much smaller and therefore much, much cheaper.

    The use of a simpler 256-bit memory controller is apparently to only
    concession ATI has made. But this in turn makes for a less complex PCB
    and in turn adds further to the video chipsets overall affordability.

    In fact, that production process could allow ATI to actually clock the
    chip higher than the 742MHz of 2900 XT. Figures north of 800MHz are
    being mooted. If so, and if the final video boards come in under £200
    as expected, well, RV670 will be the funkiest affordable graphics chip
    by far.

    New weapon of choice

    Indeed, the card will almost definitely be the new weapon of choice
    for value-conscious gamers. Existing affordable midrange DirectX 10
    video boards like the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or ATI's own Radeon HD 2600
    simply aren't cutting it in the latest DirectX 10 games such as
    BioShock. They only offer around one third the rendering oomph of a
    high end video card.

    What's more, unless I'm sorely mistaken, NVIDIA has nothing in its
    upcoming roadmap to match RV670 for both price and power. OK, NVIDIA
    does have a new midrange part of its own, probably to be sold under
    the GeForce 8800 GT moniker.

    But word is that board is somewhat cut down rather than a simple die
    shrink of the full fat GeForce 8800 GPU offering around two thirds the
    performance. In other words, AMD should have an outright winner on its
    hands.

    It's also worth noting that RV670 looks extremely suitable for use in
    notebooks. Currently, neither ATI nor NVIDIA has managed to squeeze a
    high performance DX10 chip into a laptop PC.

    Actually, RV670 looks so good, you have to wonder what role will be
    left for the bruiser that is the Radeon HD 2900 XT. It's a big old
    beast on 80nm, pricey to make and extremely power hungry. If RV670
    really is essentially a die shrink minus the 512-bit memory bus, then
    the existing 2900 XT will only offer an advantage when paired with a
    monitor running silly multi-megapixel resolutions.

    http://www.tech.co.uk/performance-pc/general/blogs/2007/10/04/at-last-some-good-news-from-amd

    AirRaid, Oct 5, 2007

  3. AirRaid

    John Lewis Guest

    nVidia is phasing out the 8800GTS and filling the hole at a much
    lower, but far higher-volume and with far greater total profits..
    Phasing out the G80 has been a top priority for at least the last
    year. Too large, low-yield, low profit-margin.
    Er, owners of 8800GTX cards purchased at $599, have had them for
    almost a year.... I'm sure that they will not be too upsaet. Their
    current cards will tide them over until nV's 2nd-generation Dx10
    offerings in development for at least the past year finally appear.
    Our favorite ATi troll has again spoken.....

    And the expected volume ship date is when ??
    ( And if 3-6 months behind nV's G92, the ATi offering will get
    swamped by nV's 2nd-generation Dx10 parts. Always a step behind... now
    increasing to two steps behind in high-performance GPU's, since AMD
    has no money to invest in bleeding-edge graphics without jeopardizing
    their core business in their life-blood struggle with Intel )

    And the list price of the ATi offering is ??

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 5, 2007
  4. AirRaid

    Wax Guest

    I take it that you don't like ATI.

    Tell me what would happen if they disappeared and Nvidia emerged as the only
    major graphics card maker out there. Personally, I see higher prices, less
    driver support, and longer periods of time between new products when a
    company is not challenged by another company.

    Just something to think about.

    Wax, Oct 6, 2007
  5. AirRaid

    Jim Vieira Guest

    Isn't that the basis of what all anti-monopoloy laws are? Isn't it common
    sense? Choices=good for the consumer. May piss off the bigwigs in the
    companies competing with each other, but too bad :)

    Jim Vieira, Oct 6, 2007
  6. Benjamin Gawert, Oct 6, 2007
  7. AirRaid

    Shawk Guest

    John owns shares in NVidia. It hasn't led to him being a balanced
    individual

    Shawk, Oct 6, 2007
  8. AirRaid

    Rob Guest

    I always have a good old "lol" or three when I see John accusing other
    posters of being "fanbois".

    I don't for one moment doubt his technical acumen. But it's blatantly
    obvious that objectivity isn't one of his strong points.

    Rob, Oct 6, 2007
  9. AirRaid

    gamefixer Guest

    Yawn.... Its the usual back and forth again... AMD has been out of the
    running for about a year and finally came up with a part thats faster
    then Nvidia... BORING....

    Matt

    gamefixer, Oct 6, 2007
  10. AirRaid

    John Lewis Guest

    Actually I don't at present. I have held shares in both ATi and nV in
    the past. A great pity that I don't have shares in nV, looking at the
    rise in their stock-price over the last couple of months.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Oct 6, 2007
  11. AirRaid

    Tim O Guest

    Probably the same way I did 10 years ago when my Rendition Verite was
    smoked by the new 3DFX Voodoo...

    In other words, this isn't news. Go ahead and buy this new ATI card,
    and see how you feel in a year when its just over half the original
    price and faster cards have already been out for months.

    Anyone who buys on the leading edge is just looking to get screwed.

    Tim O, Oct 6, 2007
  12. AirRaid

    rms Guest

    Yawn.... Its the usual back and forth again... AMD has >been out of the
    No it's not boring. It's what enables game makers to put more
    graphics-intensive content into their games, which in turn puts pressure on
    hardware makers. Capitalism does have some positives.

    rms

    rms, Oct 7, 2007
  13. AirRaid

    gamefixer Guest

    I'm not saying its boring in the sense of the business end of things,
    I'm saying its boring here. Its like a PS2/3 fanboy that shit talks
    Xbox/360's. Who cares???

    Sorry, I should have been a bit more clear on that.

    Matt

    gamefixer, Oct 7, 2007
  14. AirRaid

    dacconverter Guest

    Then what type of consumers should buy top-of-the-line models?

    dacconverter, Oct 7, 2007
  15. AirRaid

    Ed Guest

    Geeks with money to burn.

    Ed, Oct 7, 2007
  16. AirRaid

    Tim O Guest

    Guys in their mid 20's who live with their parents, wear trench coats,
    drive Mini Coopers and collect Dungeons and Dragons rule books.

    Tim O, Oct 7, 2007

  17. And think that they have a fan club that worships them for
    their computer toys. :)

    Larry Roberts, Oct 8, 2007

  18. If they got it, let em' spend it.

    Larry Roberts, Oct 8, 2007
  19. AirRaid

    GMAN Guest

    You left out the part about the basement!!!!

    GMAN, Oct 8, 2007
  20. AirRaid

    chrisv Guest

    Wow! What a thrashing! Night and day! (rolling eyes)

    For me, it matters not who is slightly faster. Until AMD/ATI gets
    their shit together on their Linux support, it's Nvidia all the way.

    chrisv, Oct 10, 2007