    into the cpu to 1.8 volts and my ram to 2.8 volts. Under full load using
    Prime95, my cpu temps stay about 60 degrees C. I'm using aircooling. Is
    this too hot?

    Linux Man, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Linux Man

    Jef Norton Guest

    | I'm running my AMD Barton 2500+ at 3200+ speeds (200x11) - rock solid in
    my
    | NF7-S Ver. 2 motherboard. Prime95 will run indefinitely without errors.
    My
    | memory is 2-512Mb sticks of Kingston HyperX PC3500 (KHX3500K2/1G) running
    | dual channel at 400 Mhz FSB at 8-3-3-2 speeds. I've had to up the juice
    | into the cpu to 1.8 volts and my ram to 2.8 volts. Under full load using
    | Prime95, my cpu temps stay about 60 degrees C. I'm using aircooling. Is
    | this too hot?

    Hi Linux Man -

    60C is a little toasty for a Barton, but it's within the safe operating
    range for your processor.

    Prime95 is intended to stress your system at full load - so you should be
    receiving your maximum CPU temperature when running it for some time.

    You may wish to look into a little more aggressive cooling to continue
    overclocking your system at some point in the future.

    Jef

    Jef Norton, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Linux Man

    Wes Newell Guest

    Depends on ambient/case temps, but if it's the stock cooler, then I'd
    replace it. A cheap $8 cooler will outperform the stock cooler.

    Wes Newell, Feb 1, 2004

  4. Hi,

    60°c is the *absolute* max I would like to see on a Barton running 2.2GHz.
    Although it can handle up to 75°c I think, its always better to keep this
    things as cool as possible, they just work better. So while not getting to
    panicky about your current temps, I'm sure you could get them down 10°c at
    least.

    First thing, what HSF are you using?

    Secondly it sounds like you have a high *ambient* case temp. Every degree
    that you can reduce from your case temp will be reduced from your CPU temps
    also. Just by taking the door off my case both the Ambient and CPU temps
    drop by 6°c, so obviously I need to re-work my case Air-flow as I prefer to
    have the case door on (sealed). The max temp I have seen on my AMD machine
    is 57°c Load, and that was during running Prime95 for 2 days with the case
    sealed and the central heating on in my flat.

    My Barton needed 1.175v to run @2.2GHz, yours is 1.8vCore! (ouch) makes me
    wonder at all these people who can do this at default vCore of 1.65v. Also
    why have you got your vDimm set to 2.8volts? My Pc3500 runs the same
    timings as yours and is running 2.6volts? (Maybe turn your vDimm down?)

    Wayne Youngman, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Linux Man

    Delfs Guest

    What is the size of the power supply your running to overclock to that? I
    just updated to this board and I have a 350 watt power supply. Seems to run
    just fine but for overclocking I know it is not enough. I must be at the
    absolute max for overclocking.

    Delfs, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Linux Man

    Linux Man Guest

    I'm running an Antec 480watt power supply. As suggested in many forums, I
    removed the HSF and sanded it with 1000 grit sandpaper. I applied Arctic
    Silver 5 to the sanded area and wiped off the excess to fill the
    imperfections. Then, I reapplied it on my CPU and remounted the HSF. Now,
    I'm getting temps in the upper 40s. I'm amazed that made so much
    difference.

    Linux Man, Feb 7, 2004
  7. Linux Man

    Andrew Gray Guest

    Wow, that's a big temp drop. Could someone please elaborate on what
    needs to be done when sanding, etc. ie the procedure of what needs to
    be done to do this. Also, could someone please explain why doing this
    would make such a difference?

    Thanks!

    - Andy Gray

    Andrew Gray, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Linux Man

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Smoothing the surfaces will not help this much by itself. Something
    else must have occurred.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/