AMD Barton VS Amd 64 Bit for High Definition Video how much better is a AMD 64 CPU ??

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Son Of Sheep., Jul 14, 2005.

  1. AMD Barton VS Amd 64 Bit for High Definition Video how much better is
    a AMD 64 CPU ??

    Son Of Sheep., Jul 14, 2005

  2. Son Of Sheep.

    J. Clarke Guest

    What are you using for a decoder? NVDVD gives me about 60% on a Barton and
    about 40% on an Athlon64 when decoding HD OTA broadcasts recorded under
    MCE, using an ATI video board--it may do better than that with an nvidia
    board.

    Note that there is a specific problem with some 6800 models and HD WMV.

    J. Clarke, Jul 14, 2005

  3. Son Of Sheep.

    deimos Guest

    Decoding 1080 content in either WMV or generic MP4 is hell on even the
    best CPU's. The only way around it is hardware assisted decoding. The
    6800 and 7800's GPU significantly reduces CPU load on HD content. I've
    seen numbers as low as 40% on a XP3200. I'm sure a AMD64 will help a
    lot, but I don't know if XP-64 is needed also, and the low end 64's
    might not get you as far as you'd like. A lot of benchmarks are
    conducted with the FX series too, not just the regular AMD64's.

    deimos, Jul 14, 2005
  4. I have the Nvidia decoder the newest one. And it did work. But i did a
    reinstall full format ect ect. Anyway it wont work now on files i know
    it worked on before. The icon does not come up in the taskbar and i
    know it ain tworking becuase the cpu usage is WAY to high :(

    Any ideas whats going on ???

    Son Of Sheep., Jul 14, 2005
  5. Son Of Sheep.

    J. Clarke Guest

    Did you install _any_ other decoders? For some reason the nvidia decoder is
    ignored for HD if there is another decoder on the system.

    If you're not sure, try downloading DECCHECK

    J. Clarke, Jul 14, 2005
  6. I was thinking somthinglike that Ducked it up. Anyway to force it to
    be used ???

    Son Of Sheep., Jul 15, 2005
  7. Son Of Sheep.

    J. Clarke Guest

    Not that I've found. Changing the priority doesn't do it. graphedt.exe can
    make it play but doesn't force MMC to use it.

    What worked for me was removing everything that had a video codec associated
    with it including nvdvd and then reinstalling nvdvd.

    J. Clarke, Jul 16, 2005
  8. Son Of Sheep.

    First of One Guest

    With ATi cards, CPU utilization when playing WMV9 HD content can be
    significantly reduced with AGP Fast Writes enabled. Might be worth a try on
    your system.

    On my system (Athlon64 2.0 GHz, 9800Pro), when playing the XBox 360 promo
    clips here:
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=110829&mpage=1&#110829
    CPU utilization decreased from 100% to 70%; and the stutters and dropped
    frames are gone. Remarkable, especially when the video is 1080p at nominally
    60 fps.

    I have no explanation for this. Unfortunately Fast Writes causes flashing
    polygons in Doom3 on my system, so I have to toggle this option on and off
    in BIOS when encountering the occasional HD content.

    First of One, Jul 16, 2005