    Currently AMD has the best price/performance.

    All the graphics card makers try to keep the cards compatible with AMD and
    Intel.

    Tod, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Tod

    Nystagmus Guest

    A generalized consensus is this:

    AMD is better for gaming.
    Intel is better for video editing
    Both are equal in just about everything else.

    Nystagmus, Oct 30, 2003

  3. AMD can run everything an Intell CPU can... AMD ic cheeper alittle
    slower and they run hotter...

    Chris Simpson, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Tod

    Ben Pope Guest

    Price/Performance is better, yes.
    In terms of what? They don't clock as high, but they run more per clock
    cycle. There's really little to choose.
    Not really.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Tod

    Buffalo Guest

    To add to the other replies.
    If the heatsink/fan fails on an AMD, it will most like 'fry' and be ruined.
    If the heatsink/fan fails on an Intel, it will most like just go into its
    'Fail-Safe' type mode and run much slower, but not fry.

    Buffalo, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Tod

    Ben Pope Guest

    How can a heatsink fail?

    Besides, Asus boards for example come with CPU Overheat Protection (C.O.P.),
    as do most other boards, so unlikely to 'fry'.
    No difference then...

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 30, 2003
  7. Tod

    rstlne Guest

    If the heatsink comes off of a p4 will it continue to operate without going
    shibam, I think that's the big Q
    THG seems to think that it will throttle itself down fast enough when the
    HSF is removed so that no harm will come to it
    where the "Athlons" will just go psst.

    I THINK that the Opt's and A64's will have this "Throttle" feature added to
    them, so that will prove interesting. I was actually wondering if it was
    possible to throttle a system like that normally too, I leave my pc on
    overnight but its idle most of that time (keeping connections alive, ect) so
    I would love to turn my xp down to about 50mhz fsb when I go to bed, and
    shut the system fans off ;)

    rstlne, Oct 31, 2003
  8. Tod

    stacey Guest

    Bingo and this is if you consider by price. The newest intels are OK at
    gaming too but you end up spending more money that could be used for a
    better video card so it's not a good idea. For video editing you can't buy
    an AMD that will equal even the lower end 800FSB P4's.

    stacey, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Tod

    stacey Guest

    Like the fan stops turning..
    Some do, some don't but you're right this isn't the issue it was before they
    started doing this and I wouldn't use an AMD system that didn't have some
    sort of fan/heat shutdown feature. It's not likely the heatsink will fall
    off so if they can turn the system off if the fan dies, that would save it.

    stacey, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Well, the simple fix to this problem is to not remove the heatsink
    from the CPU when the computer is powered on. I don't recall reading
    too many reports of people's heatsinks just falling off while they're
    using their computers.

    *´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> Ratz O. Fratzo

    -= Ratz O. Fratzo =-, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Tod

    Lost Guest

    I would love to turn my xp down to about 50mhz fsb when I go to bed, and
    I don't get why people have such noisy systems. With my PSU fan off, everything
    else in my computer is completely silent :)

    Lost, Oct 31, 2003
  12. Tod

    J.Clarke Guest

    While it is certainly possible for an oversized clip-on heat sink to
    come loose if the machine is mishandled, designing the processor for
    this eventuality is kind of like designing an engine that will run for a
    while with no coolant--maybe in principle it's a good idea but in
    practice it's so rare an event eventuality that nobody really gives a
    damn.

    In any case, the _right_ solution is not trust to the processor
    manufacturer's attempts at idiot-proofing, the _right_ solution is to
    mount the heat sink in such a manner that it won't fall off.

    Given a choice between a fast processor and one that is slower but
    throttles down when the heat sink falls off, I'll take the fast one.
    Given two that are equally fast but I pay more for the one that
    throttles down when the heat sink falls off, I'll take the cheap one.

    Further, if this is the only advantage that the Intel advocates can find
    for their processors when compared to AMD, that pretty well says it all.

    J.Clarke, Oct 31, 2003
  13. Tod

    rstlne Guest

    The clips can break and it can fall off..
    Granted for most users this doesnt apply as they dont move their computer
    around the world

    rstlne, Oct 31, 2003
  14. Can you site a single instance of this happening?

    *´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> Ratz O. Fratzo

    -= Ratz O. Fratzo =-, Oct 31, 2003
  15. Tod

    rstlne Guest

    Several

    rstlne, Oct 31, 2003
  16. Well, site them.

    *´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> Ratz O. Fratzo

    -= Ratz O. Fratzo =-, Oct 31, 2003
  17. Tod

    rstlne Guest

    rstlne, Oct 31, 2003
  18. Tod

    Buffalo Guest

    Technically, a heatsink most likely will not fail.
    How? Not properly installed (tilted) by someone who is doing their own work.
    Accidental dropping or jarring the PC?
    Clip failure.
    The main point is, an Intel cpu will throttle 'down' while an AMD will burn
    'up'.
    Don't get so damn picky.
    I am just trying to give the OP more info.
    Yes, I should have stated it differently. Probably something like "If the
    cpu cooling system fails................"
    Only if you have a MB that you refer too.

    Buffalo, Oct 31, 2003
  19. You said you could site several instances. So site them. If you
    can't, I understand why.

    -= Ratz O. Fratzo =-, Oct 31, 2003
  20. Tod

    Richard Guest

    Thank you all for your very interesting answers.

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 31, 2003