    ram. What can be wrong? to little ram? On the maincard in my computer,
    little down and to the right from the prosessor is located a chip.What chip
    is that( have gold colour) ? its pretty hot. is it normal?

    arild, Jan 2, 2004

  2. arild

    David Condon Guest

    Arlid,

    Just a few things,What are you running for an OS? if it is winXP, it
    requires 256mb just to run the OS. Another thing you could check is heat. Do
    you monitor the cpu temperature? you might need to get better air flow
    through your case.

    Dave

    David Condon, Jan 3, 2004

  3. arild

    U R Chumps Guest

    Not near enough main memory (512 of the GOOD stuff is a starting place).

    Is your board setup properly? Is it the proper board for the Athlon XP
    2600+? It runs on a 333bus BTW.

    If you have a retail CPU the heat problem isn't an issue. If not, make sure
    the heat-sink/fan is up to the task. Be sure the inside of the box is not
    too warm. You need very good circulation in there too.

    Don't have a bunch of free-loading software running in the background
    either.

    If you are not running XP Home or XP Pro OS, 'GET IT'.

    SPC

    U R Chumps, Jan 3, 2004
  4. arild

    rstlne Guest

    hello!

    I have to say that my first thought is
    Run a virus scanner..
    your ram should really be enough for half life and the OS..

    rstlne, Jan 3, 2004
  5. arild

    Doughnut Guest

    I built a system using 2000xp and 256mb ram for my friend, played call of
    duty smooth as silk, memory in my opinion is not a factor here but it would
    help in games.
    The minimum for windows xp is 128mb and thats fine if you just intend to do
    office and internet activities.
    I would open the task manager and see what processes are runninmg and see
    which one is hogging your cpu and if its not important end the program.

    hope this helps a bit
    doughnut

    Doughnut, Jan 3, 2004