    Most benchmarks show P4 ahead
    Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

    I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

    The Spectre, Dec 18, 2003

  2. The Spectre

    LBJGH Guest

    1. Well the current P4 3.2 is slower than the Athlon64 3200+.
    2. Using 64bit software the P4 will be even more behind.
    3. The Athlon doesn't have a FSB per say... but if you want to talk in Intel
    terms (i.e. 200mhz fsb quad pumped... not really 800mhz fsb) the Athlon
    would be something like 1600mhz fsb.
    4. The Athlon64/FX will give you better benchmark results to impress your
    friends.
    5. The Athlon64/FX can have the multiplier adjusted with software where as
    all P4 are multiplier locked.

    LBJGH, Dec 18, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    Intel and Microsoft might tend to disagree with you there, 2005 q1 intel
    will release their 64 bit chips/chipsets that will work with the amd64
    instruction set. Microsoft SHOULD finally roll out Win XP64 q2 of next
    year
    And they should, at the prices they charge...
    If their chips did less work per clock cycle then maybee it would stay
    cooler and they could keep up the gap?.. Raw MHZ isnt that important except
    for synthetic benchmarks.
    Yea?.. SSE4? or what.. AMD64 will be their next big instruction set to add
    Yea, ?
    Yes they do, the 3200 p4 looks like a GREAT chip.. the EE could be great too
    if it wasnt so damn'd expensive.
    Yea, 1st quarter (maybee) for intel and 3rd quarter (maybee) for AMD..
    6 months can be a huge time in the processor world so it might make a big
    difference.
    Shrug, Via is going to have quad core chips smaller than the athlons/p4's..
    Microsoft is working with ibm and they are going to make their own chips
    probably (New Rival?)..
    New Optical Processors are working NOW and are roughly 1000 times faster
    than these speedy p4's that everyone loves to brag about. 1000 times faster
    means that this company has probably somewhere along the lines of 5/6 years
    to shrink it down so I dont think this love for intel or amd will matter
    once that happens. Lets not talk about holographic processors or single
    electron processors.. There is something better around the corner all the
    time.

    the Athlons were far ahead of intels p4 early on and now the p4 3200 can
    really do damage compared to amd systems.
    But 5 unlock'd 2500+ bartons sell for the same as the p4 3200 ht

    rstlne, Dec 18, 2003
  4. The Spectre

    DaveL Guest

    If you can afford the high end Intels then go for it. When considering bang
    for the buck, I don't see how anyone could consider a Intel. Have you seen
    this? http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927&p=1 It shows a
    $120 P4 getting absolutely smoked by an $85 dollar Barton. In mosts of the
    tests the P4 was beaten by the lowly $40 Duron.

    Oh, one more thing. You can't get an Nforce chipset on an Intel. That's the
    clincher for me right there.

    Dave

    DaveL, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Invalid statement. WAY too broad.

    To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

    It's your SIG, say what you want to say....

    Never anonymous Bud, Dec 18, 2003
  6. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    No doubt, at the low end of "leftovers", AMD's rule. Intel chips never get
    down into the sub $100 level where AMD chips sell for 6 months after they
    were selling for $400+ when released. I use them for lots of machines and
    they work great. For a performance machine with software you can use today,
    on the high end I don't think it's the best route.

    Buy the time windows 64 comes out (and linux -apps- are written for 64 bit)
    you'll be able to buy an AMD64 for less than $100.

    stacey, Dec 18, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    Wes Newell Guest

    So build your Intel system and go away.
    yep, and in the late 70's no one needed 16bit, and in the 80's no one
    needed 32bit. Wise up.
    If you say so.
    I don't know what you're talking about. There's hundreds of sites that
    show the P4 being put to shame by AMD's FX51. I'havent seen one that
    procl;aims the P4 to be the winner.
    Upcoming doesn't count now and there's no data on it.
    I know that with AMD, you get what you pay for and more. With Intel, you
    pay for name and the blue people and don't get much for your money. $1000
    will get you the new P4EE. Go for it, it's not my money.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 18, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    Wes Newell Guest

    You just don't get it. Linux apps don't have to be rewritten for 64 bit.
    They just have to be recompiled. So the time is now and I can't find any
    AND 64's for under $100.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 18, 2003
  9. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    Which some people don't want to screw with.. Probably will be next spring
    before a real 64 distro is out that includes all the apps compiled for it?
    Could be wrong and the ones that are out are all 64 bit compiled?
    Bleeding edge always costs ya! But I bet early spring they'll be under $100.

    stacey, Dec 18, 2003
  10. The Spectre

    Leadfoot Guest

    If you decide to go with intel don't let the door bump you on the ass ;-)

    Leadfoot, Dec 18, 2003
  11. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if you
    have something informative and accurate to add please do so otherwise keep
    it to yourself.

    The Spectre, Dec 18, 2003
  12. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    No YOU WISE up! There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by the
    time MS releases a 64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit software
    it will be 2 years and time to upgrade again!
    I don't say so its the countless users overclocking P4 2.4's and 2.6's to
    well over 3Ghz and beyond that prove so. Not to mention the 4Ghz systems
    floating around the web with proper cooling.
    You have not looked hard enough! My point is that they are very close yet
    stock yet the P4 CAN overclock whiloe the AMD what you see is what you get.
    Pleanty of DATA on it once again You have not looked hard enough!

    The Spectre, Dec 18, 2003
  13. The Spectre

    The Spectre Guest

    Not when you OVERCLOCK it its not!
    There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by the time MS releases a
    64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit software it will be 2 years
    and time to upgrade again! And that is if MS is not being overly optomistic
    about its release which is shure to be buggy as hell in V1.0 .
    Not sure about the FSB thing but someone may be able to elaborate on this
    comment. However, there are P4's well over 260 FSB and are stable on a day
    to day basis not to mention the exotic ones going even higher. From my
    understanding the P4 usually tounces the AMD 64s on FSB bandwith, please
    correct me if I am wrong.
    Its not benchmarks I am worried about but benchmarks are valid reference
    points.

    The Spectre, Dec 18, 2003
  14. The Spectre

    Andy Yee Guest

    Uh...you can't overclock the Athlon FX 64's?

    Troll.

    Andy Yee E-Mail: ayee AT mn dot rr dot com
    President Home Page: http://home.mn.rr.com/andyyee
    New Directions Engineering, Inc.

    Godwin's Law: As a USENET thread grows, the probability of a reference
    to Hitler or Nazis approaches 1.00.
    Corollary: When such a reference is made, it is generally
    recognized that the poster has LOST the argument.

    Andy Yee, Dec 18, 2003
  15. The Spectre

    Leadfoot Guest

    You got opinion and feedback. If you can't take a comment meant to be funny
    you "may" be a little too thin skinned for usenet.

    I shudder to think what we would pay for processors if AMD was to go out of
    business.

    Have a nice day

    Leadfoot, Dec 18, 2003
  16. The Spectre

    Neil Guest

    Well you can go a 3000+ A64 for resonable cost with a new board. Persoanlly
    I run both platforms a NF2 [email protected]+ and a p4 [email protected] gig at 250 fsb, one
    advantage of the p4 is it is almost a silent system, the amd is
    watercooled or would be too noisey for my liking.

    Neil, Dec 18, 2003
  17. The Spectre

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ohhh, poor boy, can't handle a bit of a ribbing with a smiley after it.

    It doesn't matter a shit what you *ask* for on usenet, what you get is what
    you get. Live with it.

    Maybe he should have said don't let the door hit you in your *well-fucked*
    arse. <no smiley>

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2003
  18. The Spectre

    Io Guest

    What reason is there to be upgrading so frequently?

    Io, Dec 18, 2003
  19. The Spectre

    LBJGH Guest

    ..... OK, the P43.2 is slower than the Athlon64 3200+ at stock speeds in
    everything but video encoding and adobe Photoshop. ;)

    LBJGH, Dec 18, 2003
  20. The Spectre

    LBJGH Guest

    It would actually be a 2000MHz FSB because the HT link is a 800MHz
    bi-directional link, thus effectively acting like one 1600MHz link PLUS
    400MHz DDR memory speed.

    LBJGH, Dec 18, 2003