    anything to mess around with the betas that are included. BTW, I'm under no
    obligation to submit any test, or otherwise, reports either.

    As I said to Bud, to each his own.

    Peter van der Goes, Dec 19, 2003

  2. The Spectre

    BF Guest

    Go for it. AMD isn't going anywhere and you won't be missed by AMD or
    us. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

    BF, Dec 19, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    So let's see, how is it that you've managed to get an MSDN Universal
    Subscription for free when the rest of us have to pay 2600 bucks for it?

    J.Clarke, Dec 20, 2003
  4. The Spectre

    RD Guest

    Hi Dgk,
    Erm, ask any company that signs up with MS.. They pay.. They also
    pay for the corporate beta setup.. so those so called free preview cd's
    aint quite so free:)
    The OS's dont work fine for everyone, nor do all their other programs.
    Care to think back over the past year and consider how many patches
    have been released for MS's OS's? Mainly to fix flaws that should have
    been fixed prior to release. Hell even down to mediaplayer:) security
    fixes, hot fixes...

    No software is perfect, but some sure is quite buggy:) And if one
    considers the numbers employed and the dosh spent on WinX/Y/Z
    its a pity that it doesnt come out just a little less in need of fixing
    every
    week or two.

    As far as corporations go, MS has a shady rep, its bullied other
    firms, bamboozled governments and individuals and trodden
    roughshod over the idea of fair play. Fine bigger bucks for
    those on the MS bandwagon, but in the end its the customer
    that pays.. If MS is giving you free software, hooray for you,
    its not giving it away to everyone.. Joe and Jane Blogs have
    to pay for it.. And when the OS costs more than the cpu its
    running on, demands megabytes of memory and gigabytes
    of hard drive space, and an ever increasing speed in order
    to crawl along running 1 app... its crap.

    If the code were written tighter, you wouldnt need 1024Mb
    of DDR 400 in order to be sure you wouldnt be down in
    the memory stakes within the year, wouldnt need 80Gig
    plus hard drives running thier little sox off in order to
    provide sufficient storage for the OS and a few apps

    Care to cast your mind back to the time before Windows?
    how the media went into a frenezy of the 'bloated' size
    of MS Dos 4? And were only partially satisfied when
    MS Dos6 arrived, only to find it had to be 'updated'
    to remove the code MS stole from Stacker for drive
    compression:) But at least, stolen code and all it
    ran on machines that couldnt do more than 30MHz,
    with 1 or 2 megs of ram, on hard drives of less than
    40Mb, and did just fine for all sorts of purposes,
    from bookkeeping to comms. And it didnt cost £200
    either:) Funny thing is the academic community had
    been doing just fine on JANET before windows,
    and the WWW:) So had big business, and we
    didnt have spam comming out of our ears:) Or
    have to pay some more to try and stop it..

    Microsoft isnt gods answer to software developement:)
    Its a money grubbing, opposition squeezing giant that would
    love to run the country it originated in:) It wont of course
    ever do any such thing, if it did, it would pretty soon get
    the hell out, it wouldnt want to spend so much profit on
    stuff like defense and public services:)

    RD

    RD, Dec 20, 2003
  5. The Spectre

    RD Guest

    Hi Peter.
    Subscription? sounds to me as if someone is paying somewhere..
    Ahh, at college, perhaps you should ask the dean and chapter if they are
    paying for that universal subscription:)
    I seem to recall a few people I've spoken to saying how much [thousands] it
    cost them or their firms to subscribe to MS's MSDN.. And there are a good
    few who were less than pleased to have MS demand their domain's be handed
    over to MS if they included the words windows or xp in them, under penalty
    of
    being given a corporate legal kicking if they didnt comply...
    Yeah, those who wish to work for MS are always happy to support it:) As are
    most of those who work for MS.. Now of course, if an enron type situation
    should
    occur, it might be an altogether different kettle of fish in the supporting
    dept:)

    Thos who just find them selves having to use their software are sometimes
    less
    than pleased to find they get hacked due to buggy software, loopholes in
    security as far down the food chain as mediaplayer scripts.. and having to
    endlessly go online to download hotfixes and patches. or wait for that
    amazing FREE cd to roll in the door...

    Cheers,
    RD

    RD, Dec 20, 2003
  6. You don't get out much do you? In case you haven't noticed, microsoft
    windows isn't the only os out here. In the linux world, 64 bit software is
    as common a commodity as 32 bit sofware...

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
    This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
    html.
    7:43pm up 80 days, 36 min, 7 users, load average: 0.10, 0.05, 0.01

    Jerry McBride, Dec 20, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    dgk wrote:

    LOL. I guess you missed where they were lobbying the US gov to put pressure
    on the EU for the anti-trust suit they have against MS?

    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    How many linux -end users- are recompiling the kernel? I've been using linux
    for over 5 years and never saw any need to do it for any reason.

    More MS FUD.

    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  9. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    About the same if MS ever is able to crush Linux using -shells- like SCO.

    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  10. The Spectre

    Napalm Guest

    Gosh, I remember when MS-Dos 6.1 was released, got it on a cover FLOPPY disk
    and installed it onto a 386SX33 with 2mb ram and a 20mb HD!!!!

    Times have changed.

    Napalm
    --------
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+
    MSI KT6 Delta mobo
    512mb Ram
    2 * 40GB seagate HD
    Asus GF FX5200 Magic (128MB)

    Napalm, Dec 20, 2003
  11. It's part of the package one receives as part of the MVP Program.
    And, in case you're wondering, acceptance of an MVP award is not based on,
    nor does it obligate the recipient to perform any service on behalf of MS.

    Peter van der Goes, Dec 20, 2003
  12. See my reply to J. Clarke on the MSDN.
    As far as MSDNAA is concerned, we (our department) pay $799 per year, which
    allows us to distribute a long list of software to faculty and students at
    no cost to them. As a professor and administrator of the MSDNAA program
    where I teach, I don't have to ask anyone about it.

    Peter van der Goes, Dec 20, 2003
  13. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    Would you be kind enough to quote the terms of the license that allow
    you to give away Microsoft products?

    J.Clarke, Dec 20, 2003
  14. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    So you -are- paying to gain access to their beta software.. Well someone
    else is but you -are- paying in one way or another..
    So you have a license from MS that allows you to freely distribute their
    software at no cost?

    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  15. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    Just because he (and others) get something good/special from microsoft
    doesnt mean it isnt real. There's billions of dollars each year that goes
    to people for no reason at all and I dont hear you or the other guy asking
    HOW HOW HOW..
    Just accept that it is and leave it. I know that it's been possible in the
    past to get microsoft products free from microsoft.. I know for a FACT.. So
    I really would expect that more of those programs/features are still around
    today

    rstlne, Dec 20, 2003
  16. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    Not saying he's lieing, just doesn't sound like something MS would allow.
    Freely distributing software to students but then sell these same single
    copy licenses to others? MS is so freaked about pirating software, seems
    like these "free" apps would be flooded across the internet? Just doesn't
    fit with MS's past actions.

    stacey, Dec 20, 2003
  17. The Spectre

    p_vandergoes Guest

    How about you Google up "MSDNAA" for yourself and read all about it. It's no
    secret.

    p_vandergoes, Dec 20, 2003
  18. The Spectre

    p_vandergoes Guest

    Good catch, before you really start looking ignorant.
    Rather than cross-examining me, try Googling up "MSDNAA" and reading about
    it. It's real. It exists. It's designed to help educational institutions and
    their students.
    Don't tell me, you'll now try to spin this as yet another "take over the
    world" plot?

    p_vandergoes, Dec 20, 2003
  19. The Spectre

    p_vandergoes Guest

    No I'm not. Give it up. Google up Microsoft MVP to see how the program
    works. Once you've acquainted yourself with the facts, come back and admit
    you're wrong.
    Yes, we do. Google up "MSDNAA" and get in touch with the real world. It's
    different from your fantasy world where Microsoft is the great Satan, riding
    on a chariot drawn by the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

    p_vandergoes, Dec 20, 2003
  20. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    How about you simply provide the quote? You claim to administer the
    program, you should be familiar enough with the license to know where to
    look.

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003