    go here
    http://www.msdnaa.net/program/
    first link in google

    rstlne, Dec 21, 2003

  2. The Spectre

    Wes Newell Guest

    If you think MS gives stuff away for nothing you're living in a dream
    world. Read the fine print. There's motive behind everything they do as it
    is with most companies. They may give some things away for PR, but it's
    damn sure calculated to benefit MS in the end. Anyone thinking otherwise
    is a fool.
    Nothings free. Somebody, somewhere, somehow pays for it. A few may
    actually get these benefits. And trust me, someone paid for them.

    Wes Newell, Dec 21, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    Wes Newell Guest

    Nothing is free. Someone pays for it. Last I remember reading was about
    some university in Canada where MS gave them something like this. Just one
    catch. They couldn't teach other OS's in the university. it all had to be
    MS. And MS did this out of the goodness of their heart? Yeah, right.:)

    Anyone that thinks any company is doing something to benefit others is
    living in a dream world. There's motives behind all PR. probably why it's
    called PR and not charity.:)

    Wes Newell, Dec 21, 2003
  4. The Spectre

    Wes Newell Guest

    Wake up man. They want all universities to use MS. Now, just think why.
    It's really not that hard to figure out.

    Wes Newell, Dec 21, 2003
  5. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    Nothings free. Somebody, somewhere, somehow pays for it. A few may

    Yea, of course..
    but if it's free to me then it's free.
    That's how I look at it, Microsoft make the money back from their
    free/discounted goods by limiting exposure to other OS's in Uni/School
    environments and when people go out and get their own box then they'll opt
    for windows. They pay for it BUT if I get it free because of that then so
    be it. I dont like the way MS does it's buisness but that doesnt mean that
    I am gonna sit here and tell this guy that his 800$ department fee, 700?
    department fee or 200? primary school fee for these services are crap.
    Microsoft probably makes money back from the kit just out of the bug reports
    that these types of schools give them or maybee it's all done for a tax
    break.

    rstlne, Dec 21, 2003
  6. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    So how do you "get it free because of that"? Nothing in the MSDNAA
    license allows you to "get it free". Just borrow it.

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    Did -YOU- read the EULA? What this guy is talking about is against the
    acceptable use policy. It's NOT a license to freely distribute windows.

    http://www.msdnaa.net/programusage.aspx
    ------------
    Microsoft® Windows® may only be installed to facilitate the use of other
    MSDNAA software and technologies such as Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET for
    instruction or research.

    Any other use is against the EULA.

    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    And it's only to be used to study MS development tools in a classroom.

    From the EULA

    "Use" shall mean the non-commercial use of the Product by Faculty, Staff,
    and/or Students solely to: develop, support, and conduct educational
    classes, labs, or related programs offered by Qualified Educational User
    which have been approved for participation in the MSDN Academic Alliance
    Program;

    This is not a free give away OS to special people out of the goodness of
    their hearts..

    Before **YOU** start looking ignorant (too late?), try reading the EULA and
    the "acceptable use" at:

    http://www.msdnaa.net/programusage.aspx
    ------------

    Microsoft® Windows® may only be installed to facilitate the use of other
    MSDNAA software and technologies such as Microsoft Visual Studio® .NET for
    instruction or research.

    What you are talking about is illegal and against their EULA.

    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  9. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    And then only for classroom instruction use. Any other use of windows
    outside of studying MS development tools is against the EULA. So you'd need
    to buy windows for -outside of the computer lab- use to be legal.

    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  10. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    Wake up and actually READ (you do know how to read don't you?) the EULA and
    the acceptable use policy. If you're allowing students to use windows
    outside of: a computer lab working with MS development tools ONLY, you are
    in violation of the license. That is not "free distribution" of software.
    It's limited to a specific use only with lots of limitations as described
    in their EULA. That sounds more like MS!

    stacey, Dec 21, 2003
  11. The Spectre

    Minotaur Guest

    They said that about 32bit when 16bit computing was standard.
    Same in the 8bit days, Ditto if you can remember?
    Blah, no need when you can do more instructions per second with the
    gigahertz you already have.
    Guess what, Intel CPUs shall be running AMD 64bit code routines in the
    64bit CPUs.
    Well you have to when your CPU isn't like the oppositions Opteron with
    it's on die memory controller.
    Well when you get a non-existent P4EE 3.2 running against a XP3200.
    Let me guess its not ahead when its not an Extream Edition of the P4?
    IMHO wait another 6 months and see what 64bit CPUs and Motherboards are
    around. No point in upgrading to soon to be old 32bit technology, you
    should really go read some reviews on 64bit technology. It's needed if
    your wishing for cinema quality graphics with fine real world details to
    match. Doom, Quake, Half Life, you name it! Certainly wouldn't be around
    if we all still used Z80's :)

    Minotaur, Dec 21, 2003
  12. The Spectre

    Erez Volach Guest

    Errrr... since when XP 2200+ became an "aging" system ?
    sure, there are (AMD) systems running 450 MHz "faster", but one would need a
    system that is all-round state of the art to make the claim 3200+ is indeed
    45% faster than a 2200+, but then again, a state of the art system (say, a
    SATA RAID 0 storage sussystem, dual channel DDR RAM, advanced chipset) with
    2200+ would satisfy almost every user but the most extreme gamers or those
    hooked on synthetic benchmarks.

    Erez Volach, Dec 21, 2003
  13. The Spectre

    Andy Yee Guest

    Gah...Have you learned nothing from these posts??

    Andy Yee E-Mail: ayee AT mn dot rr dot com
    President Home Page: http://home.mn.rr.com/andyyee
    New Directions Engineering, Inc.

    Godwin's Law: As a USENET thread grows, the probability of a reference
    to Hitler or Nazis approaches 1.00.
    Corollary: When such a reference is made, it is generally
    recognized that the poster has LOST the argument.

    Andy Yee, Dec 21, 2003
  14. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    Yea, of course..

    In the past I was part of several beta programs that microsoft ran and at
    the end of the beta testing I received the free full retail versions.

    rstlne, Dec 21, 2003
  15. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    Which has exactly what to do with MSDNAA?

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003
  16. The Spectre

    p_vandergoes Guest

    Yes, and I know how to read the entire EULA, not just the part that suits my
    notions. I also know how to read the membership agreement and get
    clarification from the issuers when needed.
    Students and faculty are allowed to use the software in connection with
    academic and academic research activities on their own PC's at home. All
    students, faculty and staff of the member department are eligible (even if
    the student is taking only one class in the department). The software, once
    installed, may be used as long as needed/wanted by the recipient, even if
    affiliation with the member department lapses.
    You will, undoubtedly came back with something else negative to say, because
    it's *so cool* to be anti-Microsoft. FWIW, there is no clause that disallows
    use of software (including operating systems) from other vendors. We are
    also members of the Oracle Academic Initiative (OAI) and use Linux on some
    lab servers.
    EOT

    p_vandergoes, Dec 21, 2003
  17. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    The thread started where someone said he didnt like to pay microsoft for the
    Beta/Alpha software (and they have never charged for that to my knowledge)

    Then the Professor guy said he gets it with his MSDNAA subscription (that
    microsoft gives out for like somewhere around 800 bucks)

    Then you called bullshit on him and asked why he didnt pay 2600$ for it,
    while at the same time other users are saying no microsoft doesnt allow
    users to use/download the software. This was being back'd up by "Microsoft
    Doesnt ever give anything away".

    So I say yes microsoft does give stuff away, and that disclaims much of what
    many of you feel/say. Dont get me wrong here, I dont like microsoft. I
    dont like people who care to slander others just cause they got a shit
    deal..

    rstlne, Dec 21, 2003
  18. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    Be kind enough to provide the exact words from the EULA that support
    your contention. "You're wrong" is not an effective argument you know.
    One would hope that anyone in the faculty of an educational institution
    would be aware of this.

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003
  19. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    So support your argument instead of going off on these tangents. You
    give the impression of someone who, caught with his pants down, is now
    trying to shift the burden of proof and hide behind a bunch of straw
    men.

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003
  20. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    ?
    Shift the Burden of Proof..
    What the **** are you talking about..
    You and Stacey and Spectre are just trolls..

    I am glad that You and Stacey feel FUCKED by microsoft and that Spectre
    feels FUCKED by AMD..
    Give me some prof that you havent been fucked by stacey and spectre..

    rstlne, Dec 21, 2003