    I'm not quite clear on whether it is revealing you as a homophobe,
    heterophobe, or just a prude.

    I'm curious, what do you _do_ at this educational institution of yours?

    J.Clarke, Dec 21, 2003

  2. I have just such a system. A Gigabyte 7NNXP running a SATA striped RAID 0
    array and 512MB of DDR 3200. I don't see much that bogs the system down.
    The hard drive is usually the bottleneck in a system anyway.

    I do graphics, video editing, etc... and have never had the system dog too
    much. As a matter of fact, I've never had a dropped frame in video capture.
    I don't do much 3D rendering so I can't speak to that. By the benchmarks my
    system may be a dog to some, but in the real world it does the job well (and
    cost a heckuva lot less than "Intel Inside").

    When the 64 drops in price I may upgrade, but that will probably be a while.

    Art

    Art Wakefield, Dec 21, 2003

  3. The Spectre

    stacey Guest

    Only!!

    If they use it for personal e-mail, chatting with friends, reading
    newsgroups like these (what you are doing right now!), listening to MP3's
    or CD's etc etc isn't legal as part of their EULA. I hope the machine you
    are using for this debate has a -bought by you- copy of windows on it or
    you are breaking their EULA!

    Also all users must be taking a course that is studying the content of
    MSDNAA and the faculty given the software must be directly involved in the
    program as well. This is NOT:

    "which allows us to distribute a long list of software to faculty and
    students at no cost to them"

    It allows you to distribute to specific people for specific reasons certain
    software.. Big difference, but you'll never accept what you orginally
    claimed was incorrect. I -KNEW- MS isn't giving away software for free as
    you tried to claim.

    stacey, Dec 22, 2003
  4. profits

    Sounds like Intel ;)

    Gary Colligan, Dec 24, 2003
  5. P4 still is overpriced for what you get. What's always been the only
    thing to consider.

    Chris Phillipo, Dec 29, 2003
  6. The Spectre

    Mr. Green Guest

    Quantum computing...Problem is, it only works 90% of the time.*

    *Explanation: An electron 'orbital' is the space in which an electron
    occurs...ninety percent of the time.

    Mr. Green, Dec 29, 2003
  7. The Spectre

    Ed Guest

    90% hmmmmm sounds just like my friends Intel PCs, they'll feel right at
    home! ;p

    Ed, Dec 31, 2003
  8. The Spectre

    rstlne Guest

    Laugh..

    I guess the big question is how many cach hits are actually misses. I know
    it's a problem that gets worse as chips get faster, but would you say it's
    as big as 10%.. hmmm I wonder

    rstlne, Dec 31, 2003
  9. The Spectre

    J.Clarke Guest

    This issue is called "cache coherency" and any machine is designed to
    deal with it. If there are _any_ hits that don't reflect the data
    stored in main memory then something is broken.

    J.Clarke, Dec 31, 2003
  10. How would you know? If you observe it, it dissappears.

    Registered Linux User Number 185956
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
    This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
    html.
    8:04pm up 92 days, 57 min, 8 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

    Jerry McBride, Jan 1, 2004
  11. The Spectre

    U R Chumps Guest

    Why are you here? Intel crap is Intel crap, go preach somewhere else please.

    U R Chumps, Jan 3, 2004
  12. The Spectre

    U R Chumps Guest

    Oh shut up. Why are you here? Intel crap is Intel crap, go preach somewhere
    else please.

    U R Chumps, Jan 3, 2004
  13. The Spectre

    U R Chumps Guest

    Sounds like an Intel apologist. 'Sorry, Intel is so lame...but buy me
    anyway'! Sickening to listen too.

    U R Chumps, Jan 3, 2004
  14. The Spectre

    Mike Guest

    --
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI K8T NEO FIS2R

    Try to beat that with the latest Intel crap!

    Mike, Feb 17, 2004
  15. The Spectre

    Asestar Guest

    Don't get high hopes on Prescott tough. Only good it will do is intruduce
    new plateforms where we can run Nortwoods on, only faster.
    It has some serious issues with electrochemistry, also those (even more)
    lengthed pipelines will give reduced performance per clockrate. Remember how
    P4 1,6 was outclassed by almost all other 1,6GHz cpu's? Even
    athlon1,2/duron1,3 were a LOT faster than (on papir)faster P4.

    Get XP 64 at 3000+. That or opteron.

    Asestar, Feb 17, 2004