AMD K6 400, WinXP and Lexmark USB Printer

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Mick, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Mick

    Mick Guest

    I installed XP on my friends old AMD K6 400 (256MB of RAM) and was surprised
    it worked although slowly. My friends were happy with it apart from there
    being a problem with their new Lexmark USB printer (not sure of the model,
    but it talks to you whilst printing). The printer keeps locking up whilst
    outputting and the text gets messed up. It's not the printer at fault
    because I tried it on my XP machine (AMD XP 3000 512 MB of RAM) and it
    worked perfectly. My friend rang me tonight to say he had tried his
    father's USB printer on his PC and exactly the same problem.

    Any ideas? BIOS update? Can I just update the USB drivers? Or could it be
    the combination of extremely old processor and 256MB of slow RAM not fast
    enough to feed data to the printer? Would a parallel port printer work any
    better?

    TIA

    Mick.

    Mick, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Many years ago I assembled a similar system and in order to load Win98 I had
    to install the motherboard manufacturer's drivers to make it work. Since
    this is apparantly a new install you may have a similar situation.
    Unfortunately I don't have any more specific information. I would suggest
    contacting the board manufacturer.

    Tom Clydesdale, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Mick

    Ben Myers Guest

    Another possibility is that the Lexmark requires USB 2.0 to run properly. A
    motherboard with an AMD K6 has USB 1.0 ports. A USB 2.0 PCI add-in card may
    solve the problem... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 23, 2004
  4. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Thanks Ben and Tom for your helpful suggestions. I have a USB 2 card in my
    PC I might take it out and pop it into my mate's computer on Sunday. If I
    can find out the make of the motherboard I'll also check out the drivers
    suggestion. I think I recall someone on this group posting a link to a
    website that would identify the motherboard by the BIOS string. Anyone know
    if this is correct?

    Mick, Apr 23, 2004
  5. Mick

    Yvonne Guest

    Try this http://www.motherboards.org/moboidtools.html

    Hope it helps,
    Yvonne

    Yvonne, Apr 24, 2004
  6. Mick

    Mick Guest

    Thanks to everyone who responded. I did not try all the suggestions because
    the USB2 card idea put forward by Ben worked, but all the input was much
    appreciated.

    Mick.

    Mick, Apr 26, 2004