AMD K7 3000 400 MHz CPU (without the plus sign) and MSI K7N2 Delta Mobo - CPU Freq. Problem, not ma

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Sphere, Sep 26, 2003.

  1. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    I purchased a AMD Athlon XP 3000 CPU from New Egg for what I thought
    was a great price at 267 dollars for the 2.1 Ghz version of this CPU.
    I didn't notice that the CPU isn't the 3000+ but rather just 3000
    without the plus sign. The fastest I can set this CPU to run is 1670
    MHz instead of the 2100 MHz that it is advertised to run at. When I
    try to set the mutliplier in the Microstar K7N2 Delta mobo to 13.0 it
    defaults the CPU down to 670 something MHz! A whole GHz slower!

    Anyone? When I go to the MSI web site it doesn't show this mobo
    supporting the AMD 3000, only the 3000+ etc...!!! Maybe I
    misunderstand, that they only left the plus sign off of the page at:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...e=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4159,4888
    because I linked to this page:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/manufacto...frcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4159
    where they show it as having the plus sign!

    AMD ATHLON XP 3000 "Barton" 400MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM
    Specifications:
    CPU: 2.1 GHz
    Type: XP 3000 Barton Core
    Cache: 512K L2
    FRONT SIDE BUS: 400MHz
    Socket A
    OEM (Chip Only See pics) Model#: AXDA3000DKV4E -OEM Special Free
    FedEx Saver Shipping
    - Product Link (limit 5 per customer) -See It! (image count 2 ) -Price
    Alert (N82E16819103394) Return to Service

    ANYONE have any suggestions for me??? I would like to have this baby
    up at 2.1 GHz instead of the 1.67

    Sphere, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Sphere

    rstlne Guest

    AXDA3000DKV4E breaks down
    it is indeed a 3000+, the 200fsb version
    if the fsb is 200 then that will put the multiplier at 11.5 then you should
    be set to go..
    not too sure where your getting 13 multiplier from?

    rstlne, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    It appears that I did get a AMD Athlon XP 3000+, just that they left
    the plus sighn off of that one web page. Still, I can't seem to figure
    out how to set the BIOS to get it to run beyond 1670 Mhz, why the
    multiplier of 13X only gets it to 600 some MHz is a mystery to me.

    Sphere, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Sphere

    Helinut Guest

    On my KT4 board if I go above 12.5/13 multiplier to 14 or 15 times, the CPU
    also runs at about 500. Go figure!!
    If you find a solution , please let me know : )
    Maybe the actual setting is 4 X and 5 X but the bios shows it wrong ?

    Helinut, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    AXDA3000DKV4E breaks down
    If I set the multiplier to 11.5 then the CPU clocks at 1537 Mhz. I'm
    really dumb founded on this problem. I set the FSB to 200!

    Sphere, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    The mobo will allow a multiplier of up to 13.0 but that makes it drop
    back to 667 Mhz, or somewhere in the 600's.

    Sphere, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Sphere

    bluestringer Guest

    FSB doesn't seem to be correct. 10.5x200 should give you the 2100mhz. Check
    FSB again, set multiplier to auto.

    bluestringer

    bluestringer, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Sphere

    rstlne Guest

    That sounds really weird..
    Maybee the 5th bit is missing so it turns it all the way down instead of all
    the way up? ..
    I don thave the tables showing the sequences for the multiplier but you
    could see what hte last 4 bits are for a 13 multiplier and then look to see
    what those four bits are on their own..

    I would stick with the stock multiplier and try a lower fsb, maybee 166 and
    just "See" if that makes a difference

    rstlne, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    Thanks for your help brothers, but I have it working now. Apparently I
    had some things set up wrong in the BIOS. I kept at it until I found
    settings that would work, I don't remember where I went wrong before
    or which ones caused the problem, however, here are the current
    settings that work:

    (Under the advanced settings)

    Current CPU Clock 2100 MHz
    System Performance: Manual
    CPU FSB Clock [200 MHz]
    CPU Interface [High Performance]
    FSB/DRAM Ratio [BY SPD]
    Current DRAM Clock 200 MHz
    Memory Timings [High Performance]
    X-T-(RAS) 8
    X-T(RCD) 3
    X-T (RP) 3
    X CAS Latency 3.0
    X FSB Spread Spectrum DISABLED
    X AGP Spread Spectrum DISABLED

    (Under Frequency/Voltage Control)

    AGP Clock Control [DEFAULT]
    X AGP Clock Value 66
    AGP Voltage Adjust [1.5V]
    DRAM VOltage Adjust [2.7v]
    CPU Ratio [BY H/W]
    CPU Vcore Select [BY H/W]

    I'm letting the BIOS select the multiplier by hardware. Works great
    now and gives a good 3DMark2001 overall score of 16767 using the ATI
    9800 PRO GPU.

    Sphere, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Sphere

    Sphere Guest

    I had to re-do the BIOS today do to OC the FSB too much, when back to
    default. I found that the only way to get the MSI K7N2 Delta mobo to
    recognise the AMD 2100 MHz Athlon 3000+ to boot to the 2100 MHz freq.
    is NOT TO TOUCH ANY OTHER SETTING in the BIOS, just change the FSB
    from 100 to 200 and then reboot! Once you do this once it ought to
    boot at the proper CPU frequency and then you can change other
    settings. If you change anything else first, your screwed and will be
    stuck far below the proper CPU frequency. I had to pull the BIOS
    battery to get the BIOS back to the factory default.

    Sphere, Sep 27, 2003