    happened between NV? Non-important features my ass...).

    Cannot find anyone announcing a future DX11 game yet. Probably not till
    Q1 2010 after Win7 has a good running start.

    deimos, Jun 1, 2009

  2. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 1, 2009
  3. parallax-scroll

    Johnathon Guest

    Lot of good DX11 will do us when I can still count the number of DX10 games
    on one hand. Same thing with multiple cpu core aware games, I can count
    those on two hands still and most use very small functions of the extra
    cores too, maybe 5 - 10% increase in frame rates at most. BFD.

    Johnathon, Jun 3, 2009
  4. parallax-scroll

    deimos Guest

    Sweeny's been touting that for quite a while, at least since he finished
    Unreal and went into engine development full time. Remember, this is
    a guy who designed a software renderer that many nearly matched the
    visual quality of early accelerators. So his perspective is a bit one
    sided and flavored by that achievement.

    Originally Tim said we'd see everything on the CPU with multi-core
    rendering around 2010 or so. Well we're here and GPU's are doing more
    exciting things now :). He also had some comments on raytracing as
    well, but honestly we're going to be using hybrids for a very long time yet.

    deimos, Jun 4, 2009
  5. parallax-scroll

    deimos Guest

    I've got some friends, GTA IV and Saints Row 2, they'd like to say hello
    to your unused cores.

    deimos, Jun 4, 2009
  6. parallax-scroll

    DRS Guest

    [...]
    He is right about the trend though. I remember writing about the
    foreseeable end of the discrete GPU on another forum a couple of years ago.
    The writing is on the wall.

    DRS, Jun 4, 2009
  7. Yes I understand AMD's current DX10.1 GPUs are almost DX11, but almost
    is not there.
    The hardware that DX11 requires is not fully present in AMD's DX10.1
    GPUs.

    parallax-scroll, Jun 4, 2009
  8. parallax-scroll

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    The hardest parts of DX11 were present in DX10.1. It would've been more
    appropriate to call it DX10.9, since it's that much closer to DX11 than
    DX10.

    In fact, DX10.1 was supposed to be what DX10 was originally going to be,
    except that Nvidia complained to Microsoft that it couldn't get it done,
    so MS neutered the DX10 specs. ATI was ready right from the start to
    implement the full 10.1 specs when 10 was first introduced. It was all
    just held up because Nvidia was not able to get it done. In fact, I
    don't think Nvidia even has a 10.1-spec card out.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Jun 5, 2009