    Looking for an Athon MB with the ability to put in 2x512Mb ECC RAM.
    From what I've seen, very few of the AMD motherboards support ECC (I
    have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 2x512 PC2700 non-ECC, and while it works,
    it's only about 99% stable even with the latest BIOS). Major problem
    that I'm having is failures while encoding video with TMPGEnc (random
    read errors).

    I know the new 940pin Opteron motherboards support ECC (Tyan Tiger K8W
    S2875), but I haven't decided whether or not I want to go with a dual-
    Opteron board yet. (Major uses would be gaming, MPEG2 encoding.) They
    seem a bit pricey, but not too bad, more concerned about compatibility
    with WinXP running in only 32 bit mode.

    Toshi1873, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Toshi1873

    S.Heenan Guest

    The Asus A7M266-D and the MSI K7D Master both support registered ECC DDR
    RAM. Any board using the AMD 760 MPX chipset is capable. Tyan and Gigabyte
    also make motherboards based on this chipset.

    It may be more cost effective to look into a board using the VIA K8T800
    chipset and a single Socket940 Opteron.

    S.Heenan, Feb 14, 2004

  3. Toshi1873

    Ian Hastie Guest

    All AMD64 class processors, so far that's Opteron and Athlon 64, have on
    chip memory controllers which supports ECC. That means with an AMD64
    system you will get ECC with any socket 754 or 940 motherboard.

    Ian Hastie, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Toshi1873

    SPS 700 Guest

    I don't have any problem encoding MPEG2 video using Ulead 6.0 on my Xp14000
    OC'ed to 1700 on an ASRock MB using 133 SDRAM. Don't get any errors and the
    video comes out great.

    SPS 700, Mar 5, 2004