AMD mobo/cpu combo suggestions?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Kristen, Nov 2, 2005.

  1. Kristen

    Kristen Guest

    One of the guys in my gaming clan just had major heart surgery and
    almost died, just about 30 years old, I think. 0_o His rig's a piece
    of shit, so we wanted to get together and upgrade it for him, for a
    "Get Well" present!

    I haven't had to shop for hardware in a while, and I'd like some
    suggestions as to the best places to get some vanilla-flavor AMD
    combos with motherboard (onboard sound and lan), ram, & cpu with
    cooler. Basically something that with a new graphics card and p/s, we
    can just lower into his case and give him a whole new comp!

    It needs to be able to play, hmm, not Doom3 and FEAR (well, that would
    be nice but expensive!), but it needs to play Unreal Tournament 2004,
    CoD, Painkiller, and stuff like that well.

    As an aside, how are those nVidia boards with the onboard video?
    Crap? Not upgradeable in the slightest?

    Thanks for any help!

    Kristen

    Kristen, Nov 2, 2005

  2. Kristen

    greenaum Guest

    Generally, in every magazine and website's opinion, yes. They're crap.
    They're only upgradable in the sense of just buying a graphics card,
    assuming there's a suitable slot for one (ie16-lane PCI-express)

    Avoid on-board graphics for gaming, they're really meant just for
    people to run word processors on.

    You don't need the absolute fastest CPU. Check what the minimum reqs
    are on a few games, and aim above that. The mid-range of the market,
    or a couple of steps behind the leading-edge, are usually best value
    for money with CPUs. Think $ per GHz.

    AFAIK you can't buy a CPU these days too slow for Doom 3.

    Aside from that, who knows? Shop around, read the review sites. Prices
    change day by day.

    Lastly, you seem like a lovely group of friends. Wish I had mates
    online like your friend does!

    greenaum, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Kristen

    Kristen Guest