    overclock the memory then the CPU multiplier will go down.. I'm lost.

    What must I do exactly in the bios to overclock to 2.37 ghz (11x217mhz)

    Thanks

    Jean, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Jean

    Wes Newell Guest

    You clock the AMD the same way as Intel, multiplier x FSB clock. And where
    you may need to raise cpu voltage with an Intel cpu, you may need to raise
    it with an AMD cpu. And where you may have to adjust the memory bus with
    an Intel cpu, you may have to adjust it with an AMD cpu. The only
    difference is the HT link. Setting the FSB to 217 shouldn't cause the HT
    link to fail, but if it does, just lower the HT link multiplier by one,
    say from 5x to 4x. Don't worry about how low you set the HT link. It will
    not have any noticable impact on performance since memory data uses it's
    own bus direct to the cpu. With a cpu with an 11 multiplier, you should be
    able to get 11x233 fairly easy. This , while not the best timings, should
    easily work; Set FSB to 233, HT down 1 notch (5 to 4, or 4 to 3), raise
    vcore by .1 or .2v, set ram manually to 166Mhz. Reboot.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Jean

    chris Guest

    You clock the AMD the same way as Intel, multiplier x FSB clock. And where
    Set RAM to 166? I'm not familiar with X2 CPUs ... but, shouldn't the
    setting be the same as CPU bus speed? I always thought that using memory
    out of sync with CPU bus speed results in a serous performance loss?! No?

    chris, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Jean

    Jean Guest

    thanks...Could I buy OCZ PC4000 500mhz and set the memory to 466mhz in your setting...and if I push the
    bus to 250mhz can I set the memory to 500mhz ?

    thanks

    Jean, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Jean

    Wes Newell Guest

    Not really, and less so with the K8 since it has it's own bus and data
    goes direct to cpu rather than through the chipset and FSB.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Jean

    Wes Newell Guest

    You could use PC4000 and if you set the ram to 200MHz (should be max
    setting), the ram bus speed will increase with the FSB overclock. But you
    won't gain much. Of course if the ram price isn't much more, it sure
    wouldn't hurt.

    Wes Newell, Aug 23, 2005
  7. Jean

    Jean Guest

    In the ASUS bios I can chose MAXMEM CLOCK up to DDR600mhz ?

    Jean, Aug 24, 2005
  8. Jean

    Wes Newell Guest

    DDR600 is 300MHz, not 600. But I wasn't aware AMD had added anything
    official over DDR400 (200MHz).

    Wes Newell, Aug 24, 2005
  9. Jean

    Flash Guest

    Try this link. http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=overclocka64

    It is a very interesting primer on OC of Athelon 64.

    I just bought a AMD Mobile 64 3000+ from Newegg. Will be experimenting
    with desk top and this proc.

    Cheers

    Flash, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Jean

    Flash Guest

    I can't believe I just spelled Athlon wrong! :eek:)

    Flash, Aug 31, 2005