    normal college work. If anyone would be able to give me some helpful
    advice, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

    JSV

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 14, 2006

  2. creAtive oBscura

    Ed Guest

    The CPU on that board should be no problem as long as you have BIOS 1013
    or later, see here... http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    As far as OCing - not really sure, I know DFI brand was getting a lot of
    attention there for awhile.

    Have fun OCing that 165,
    Ed

    Ed, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Thanks for all the info. I was just considering bumping the 165 from
    1.8 ghz to like 2.1 or so. As it is, its pretty much a 3500+ X2, but
    it has a better Level 2 cache, it's the same core as the FX-60, but
    that runs at 2.6 and the 165 is @ 1.8. Is overclocking it that much
    that big of a deal? What is the difference in overclocking and just
    buying the next step up in speed of the same processor? I realize the
    heat issues and stuff, but why are the next step up in processor able
    to use the same stock cooler then?

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 14, 2006
  4. creAtive oBscura

    Outback Jon Guest

    I know it isn't a dual core, but I am currently running an Opteron 146
    (stock 2.0GHz) at 2.5GHz with no voltage increase and an Arctic Cooling
    Freezer 64 Pro heat sink. My temps are staying about 4 degrees (42C)
    above the case temp (38C) at a continuous 100% load ([email protected])

    I think the companies test the processor to be stable at a certain speed
    and that is what they make that processor run at. So, yours MAY be able
    to reach 2.6, but may not even get over the 1.8. They only expect it to
    run at 1.8, so don't bother complaining to them if it doesn't.

    The main difference between overclocking and buying the next step up is
    price, plain and simple. For example, mine is running at the speed
    faster than an Opteron 150, but the 150 cost $125 more than mine did.
    Now, if I can push it to the level of a 154 (2.8 GHz) I will have saved
    a bit more ($212 for the 146, $892 for the 154) It may get there, I
    don't know.

    Outback Jon, Mar 15, 2006
  5. All I plan on doing is some minor overclocking. I was wondering what
    is the best
    motherboard (for under $125), or if the A8N-SLI is fine, and how.
    Either software or
    through BIOS, and what version of bios. I was just considering bumping
    the 165 from 1.8 ghz to like 2.1 or so. As it is, its pretty much a
    3500+ X2, but it has a better Level 2 cache than the 3800+, it's
    basically the same core as the FX-60, but that runs at 2.6 and the 165
    is @ 1.8. Is overclocking it that much that big of a deal? What is the
    difference in overclocking and just buying the next step up in speed of
    the same processor? I realize the heat issues and stuff, but why are
    the next step up in processor able to use the same stock cooler then?

    Also, if my case is decent, will the stock cooler with some artic
    silver 5 be fine? or is there a better cooler out there for less than
    $35?

    Remember, all I want is a little 300mhz increase, hoping it will be
    stable and I will be able to sell to a friend.

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 15, 2006
  6. creAtive oBscura

    Monte Guest

    For modest overclocking, the stock cooler with heatpipes is fine, if not
    excellent. You'd have to pay $50 or more to get a measureable performance
    increase over the retail box. I've got my 165 at 2.4GHz, which is 4800+ X2
    territory for half the cost. If you don't need SLI, then the A8N-E would be my
    board choice.

    Monte, Mar 19, 2006
  7. ok, thanks

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 24, 2006