AMD Opteron 165 on A8N-SLI?

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by creAtive oBscura, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. I'm going to be building a new PC from scratch this weekend or so. I
    am planning on buying an AMD Opteron 165 with an Asus A8N-SLI
    motherboard. I have never overclocked a cpu, memory, or gpu. I would
    like advice on anything and everything anyone would happen to know
    about. Is the A8N-SLI a good motherboard for overclocking? I chose it
    because its only $110, and I built a system a month or so ago with an
    A8N-SLI Deluxe and it went flawlessly, but no over clocking. Also, is
    the 165 going to work and act just like a Athlon 64? I have read an
    article or two on it and its overclocking abilities. Also, do I
    overclock using a piece of software, or through the bios? If software,
    what is the best, free software available? Any Info would be much
    appreciated.

    All I plan on doing is some minor overclocking. I was wondering what
    is the best
    motherboard (for under $125), or if the A8N-SLI is fine, and how.
    Either software or
    through BIOS, and what version of bios. I was just considering bumping
    the 165 from 1.8 ghz to like 2.1 or so. As it is, its pretty much a
    3500+ X2, but it has a better Level 2 cache than the 3800+, it's
    basically the same core as the FX-60, but that runs at 2.6 and the 165
    is @ 1.8. Is overclocking it that much that big of a deal? What is the
    difference in overclocking and just buying the next step up in speed of
    the same processor? I realize the heat issues and stuff, but why are
    the next step up in processor able to use the same stock cooler then?

    Also, if my case is decent, will the stock cooler with some artic
    silver 5 be fine? or is there a better cooler out there for less than
    $35?

    Remember, all I want is a little 300mhz increase, hoping it will be
    stable and I will be able to sell to a friend.

    jsv

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 15, 2006

  2. creAtive oBscura

    Adam Webb Guest

    I'm going to be building a new PC from scratch this weekend or so. I
    my mate currently has an Asus A8N-SLI-Premium running at 10x279mhz (Opteron)
    ive had mine running at 9x270 (X2)

    Its a good board, its not the "best" for FSB speeds, ie you can get over
    300mhz on the DFI's normaly, but its certainly up there with the best
    I use a bit of both... I set mine up for lets say 11x210, then i might
    increase it in windows untill it becomes prime unstable... Then i might
    lower memory dividers, or HT speeds, or the multiplier and try again.
    that should be a peice of cake, it should get to 2.4-2.6 easy....

    Adam Webb, Mar 15, 2006

  3. I'm not wanting to get the fsb to 300mhz, I'm just wanting to increase
    the total from 1.8ghz to 2.1ghz, not sure what that would be with the
    multiplier and fsb, but I just want it to be at 2.1ghz, and I'm curious
    as to how stable this would be.

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 16, 2006
  4. creAtive oBscura

    Fishface Guest

    I understand the HSF on the Opterons is excellent, but not
    especially quiet. I am not familiar with the "bump it up"
    technique of overclocking, but here is an article to read:
    www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/athlon64oc/index.html

    The Opteron 165 has a maximum multiplier of nine. One
    reason people pay more for a CPU is for the higher multiplier.
    One reason people pay more for a motherboard is the
    ability to run more expensive memory faster. Another
    reason someone might pay more for a motherboard is
    to get passive cooling on the northbridge that doesn't
    make a racket and is not prone to premature failure...

    Fishface, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Thanks for all the info fishface

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 16, 2006
  6. creAtive oBscura

    Adam Webb Guest

    I'm not wanting to get the fsb to 300mhz, I'm just wanting to increase
    well to get 2.1 from a 1.8 cpu you would need 233fsb, which "value" boards
    probably wont do.... where as these boards like the Asus SLI you mentioned
    should, with ease

    Just remember to lower the HT bus to x4 (4x233 = 932, keeping it under 1000
    is a must) and also keep check on your memory speeds, and weather its able
    to keep up.

    Adam Webb, Mar 17, 2006
  7. creAtive oBscura

    Fishface Guest

  8. What is the reason for keeping the HT bus under 1000?

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 18, 2006
  9. creAtive oBscura

    dawg Guest

    Over 5x(5 times fsb) will most likely give errors or fail to boot. On older
    boards like the Nforce3 the HT would have to be 3x. Default was 4x.

    dawg, Mar 18, 2006
  10. ok, thanks

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 19, 2006
  11. creAtive oBscura

    Adam Webb Guest

    What is the reason for keeping the HT bus under 1000?

    the default speed for the HT bus is 1000mhz on skt939 cpus, and 800mhz on
    skt754 cpus. This is deprived from the "FSB" speed, or the base speed that
    everything else is set. which is 200mhz

    by default its 5x200 = 1000, while the cpu speed is lets say 10x200=2000 for
    example.

    IF you want to run your CPU at 10x250, for 2500mhz your HT speed will be
    1250... well over the limit. IF you drop the multiplier down to 4x250, you
    will be at your default 1000 again which is good.

    However the HT speed isnt a bottleneck anyway, so running it below 1000 isnt
    too much of a problem. as long as your above 800

    Adam Webb, Mar 19, 2006
  12. sweet, thanks

    creAtive oBscura, Mar 19, 2006
  13. creAtive oBscura

    blah22 Guest

    I just bought an opt 165 myself, with an a8n-sli premium. Total newb
    to overclocking here as well. :(

    So if I wanted to run it at 2700mhz, that would be 9x300 for cpu, and
    I would need to drop memory multiplier to 3 for 3x300 = 900? Is that
    the right approach? Or is there a better way? Does it have to be 3x300
    if the cpu is 9x300, or could it be 3x330 with cpu still at 9x300?

    Thanks =)

    *edit* another question, in the article that was linked a bit earlier,
    here:

    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/athlon64oc/5.html

    On the 5th? test he says he increased FSB, and leaves all multipliers
    and dividers at stock, wouldnt this raise his memory over 1000? But
    he states this as being the best overclocked state.

    blah22, May 28, 2006