AMD Opteron 185 OC Help

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Dark Helmet, Mar 8, 2007.

  1. Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet Guest

    Hi all. I've been away from the pc hardcore hardware scene for a few years
    and have lost quite a bit of knowledge in the process. So, after just
    plopping in a Opty 185 into my socket 939 board to eke a bit more out of my
    set-up, I was hoping to get some good advice. Current set-up:

    Opty 185
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
    2 gigs (A Data - Tawian kind of generic brand, but with heatsinks)) DDR 400
    BFG Tech 8800 GTS 640mb
    etc...

    Here's my questions:
    1. Under the heaviest load, I'm getting 30-33 C temp, which seems to
    indicate I may have some headroom to up the clock, but I understand the
    temps of these newest processors aren't safe at as high of temps of old.
    What's fairly safe for this processor?

    2. I installed the stock AMD heatsink, which seemed surprisingly very well
    designed, but I "missed" the first few attempts to get the bugger to latch.
    Should I be worried that my thermal paste might be uneven?

    3. What's just a good general guide on how to do this nowadays, particlarly
    for this processor and/or mobo? Now I haven't even looked into my bios yet
    so I'm asking a little prematurely, but I believe it's still the old how
    high can the ram go along with the processor? If not, are there more
    options to tweak the innards of the processor without stressing the other
    paths like memory, PCI-E, etc?

    4. The Nvidia chip on the mobo, (Nforce 4 I believe - it's next to the PCI
    Express slots as my 8800 GTS is sitting right on top of it) has a fan but
    gets extremely hot to the touch. Like really hot. Is this going to be a
    problem in OC'ing my processor?

    Well, thanks in advance for any help on this process. For some reason, I
    feel the need to get back into being a pc tweaker again, and I'm looking
    forward to it!

    Dark Helmet

    Dark Helmet, Mar 8, 2007

  2. Dark Helmet

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Dark Helmet" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I've been away from the pc hardcore hardware scene for a
    > few years and have lost quite a bit of knowledge in the process.
    > So, after just plopping in a Opty 185 into my socket 939 board to
    > eke a bit more out of my set-up, I was hoping to get some good
    > advice. Current set-up:
    >
    > Opty 185
    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
    > 2 gigs (A Data - Tawian kind of generic brand, but with heatsinks))
    > DDR 400
    > BFG Tech 8800 GTS 640mb
    > etc...
    >
    > Here's my questions:
    > 1. Under the heaviest load, I'm getting 30-33 C temp, which seems
    > to indicate I may have some headroom to up the clock, but I
    > understand the temps of these newest processors aren't safe at as
    > high of temps of old. What's fairly safe for this processor?
    >
    > 2. I installed the stock AMD heatsink, which seemed surprisingly
    > very well designed, but I "missed" the first few attempts to get the
    > bugger to latch. Should I be worried that my thermal paste might be
    > uneven?
    >
    > 3. What's just a good general guide on how to do this nowadays,
    > particlarly for this processor and/or mobo? Now I haven't even
    > looked into my bios yet so I'm asking a little prematurely, but I
    > believe it's still the old how high can the ram go along with the
    > processor? If not, are there more options to tweak the innards of
    > the processor without stressing the other paths like memory, PCI-E,
    > etc?
    >
    > 4. The Nvidia chip on the mobo, (Nforce 4 I believe - it's next to
    > the PCI Express slots as my 8800 GTS is sitting right on top of it)
    > has a fan but gets extremely hot to the touch. Like really hot. Is
    > this going to be a problem in OC'ing my processor?
    >
    > Well, thanks in advance for any help on this process. For some
    > reason, I feel the need to get back into being a pc tweaker again,
    > and I'm looking forward to it!

    Heaviest load - Is that 2 instances of Prime95 running a torture test.
    It seems
    too cool to me. I wouldn't want to get above 60 C on full load.

    If you're talking about first use of a stock heatsink/fan than it will
    be OK. If it is
    second use and you've cleaned the heatsink and reapplied paste, then
    there
    is no ham having a second go.

    If there was a problem with the thermal conductivity I would expect
    CPU full
    load temperatures above 33 C.

    You can slow down the memory to attempt to compensate for the FSB
    increase. Setting the memory to 333 really means 5/3 of the FSB. So a
    FSB
    of 240 would have your memory back at DDR400. Set the HT to *4.

    I used clockGen to adjust the FSB with 2 instances of Prime95 running.
    measured the temperatures with SpeedFan. I found the highest FSB I
    could
    get 12 hours of successful 2 * Prime95 below 60 C and then wound down
    FSB by 5. Having determined my "optimum" settings I transferred them
    the bios.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly