    b) the mobo?

    Thanks

    PAUL :)

    PHB, May 4, 2008

  2. PHB

    Paul Guest

    I checked the AMD web site, and the documentation available is a joke.
    Presumably the real documentation is all under NDA.

    This site has some numbers.

    http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-4676-view-AMD-announce-new-phenom-models.html

    "Maximum temperature for Phenom X4 9100e, Phenom X4 9750 and Phenom X4 9850
    Black edition is equal to 61 degree Celsius.

    In other processors B3 stepping this value is equal to 70 degree Celsius.
    Furthermore, Phenom X4 9750 (2.4 GHz) and Phenom X4 9850 Black edition (2.5 GHz)
    have a higher TDP level equal to 125 W. The range of cores supplies voltages
    is : 1.2-1.25 v."

    To avoid throttling or computer shutdown, you'd want to stay under those
    values.

    As for the motherboard, you might be referring to a chipset temperature.
    Some chipsets are rated for temperatures like 99C core temperature.
    But for stability, you'd want to stay away from temperatures like
    that. It really shouldn't get any hotter than the CPU. Adding an 80
    mm fan, to blow down on one of the heatpipe heatsinks, might help it.
    The reason for selecting an 80mm, is less noise than some 40mm fans.
    I have a couple machines, where I fit 80mm fans for extra cooling.

    It really depends on whether the CPU cooler has any "side spill" air
    movement, to help cool the heatpipe coolers or not.

    Paul

    Paul, May 4, 2008

  3. PHB

    PHB Guest

    HI Paul

    Thanks for your reply. These figures put my mind at rest somewhat. My
    anxiety was caused when I ran MS Flight Sim X at full throttle tonight and
    noticed on exit that PC Probe was reporting a CPU temp of 51C - a leap of 10
    degrees over the normal average temp! (Mind you it's been warm today and the
    house feels warm too, so that would compound it, I suppose?).

    Currently running at 38C for the CPU and 32C for the mobo (at 1.00 am).

    thanks again

    PAUL :)

    PHB, May 5, 2008
  4. PHB

    Craig Sutton Guest

    try running stresscpu on each core

    51c is mild and well within specs

    Craig Sutton, May 5, 2008
  5. PHB

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Also, with a high case temperature you can kill your capacitors pretty
    fast. 80C caps can be rated for as low as 1000h at that temperature
    (rated = capacaity will not decrease to less than half, shich may
    already be too much). Derate typically by a factor of 2 every 10C. If
    your case temperature is 60C, these caps will fail after something
    lile 4000h, equal to about half a year. The filter caps close to the
    CPU will get even hotter, but will be rated for 105C. The "sidespill"
    can make all the difference there.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 6, 2008
  6. PHB

    Crash

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    A bit confused with temps.

    M2N32
    9850 BE

    Room temp is 65-70*f

    Everest shows:
    M/B=37*C
    =
    CPU=41*C
    cpu1=22*C
    cpu2=22*C
    cpu3=22*C
    cpu4=22*C

    Now when peeps say max temp is 61*c is this per core or the CPU over all.

    These temps are with water cooling.
    Thanks for any help with my confusion :D

    Crash, Feb 3, 2009