AMD preps graphics bomb for Nvidia - New Radeon 4800 series will bethe fastest GPU ever

Discussion in 'ATI' started by AirRaid, May 1, 2008.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    AMD is preparing to drop its newest GPU, codenamed RV770

    Rumours involving the next 3D chip from AMD's graphics division ATI
    are reaching critical mass. The new GPU, codenamed RV770 and expected
    to be marketed as the Radeon 4800 series, promises to be the fastest
    GPU ever.

    It could be unveiled in a matter of weeks

    If true, it will be a long overdue victory for ATI and a timely blow
    for its increasingly smug rival, Nvidia. The weight of opinion on
    RV770 now points to a chip with 480 stream processors, 32 texture
    samplers and 16 render output units. All told, RV770 is expected to
    weigh in at over 800 million transistors.

    The most complex GPU currently offered by ATI, the Radeon 3870,
    squeezes 320 stream processors, 16 textures and 16 render output units
    into a 666 million transistor budget. It most other regards, RV770 is
    expected to carry over the DirectX 10.1-compliant architecture of the
    existing Radeon 3800 series.

    AMD's mean 55nm machine

    It will likewise be bashed out on the same 55nm silicon node by
    production partner TSMC in Taiwan. What's more, the rumours suggest it
    will still use the 3800's 256-bit memory bus. However, it's expected
    to up the effective data rate to nearly 4GHz courtesy of some fancy
    new GDDR5 memory chips.

    It's a bigger, beefier version of the Radeon 3800 series rather than
    an all-new chip, in other words. Based purely on the raw architectural
    layout, RV770 ought to be around 50 per cent quicker than the best
    single-chip Radeon 3870 boards available today. However, the 4800 will
    also bring a boost in GPU core clockspeeds.

    It's thought the headline frequency will increase from 775MHz to
    around 850MHz. It's also just possible ATI will copy Nvidia's split-
    frequency-domain approach and clock the RV770's stream processors even
    higher. If so, look out for stream processor clocks somewhere north of
    1GHz.

    Teraflop chip

    All in all, it's predicted RV770 will just breach the magical 1TFlop
    barrier for raw compute performance. It should also be easily a big
    enough bomb to flatten Nvidia's best single-chip graphics card, the
    GeForce 9800 GTX.

    And that in itself will be awfully big news. ATI hasn't led the market
    since the introduction of the Radeon X1950 series way back in August
    2006. Nearly two years is an awfully long time to be second best.

    What's less clear is whether single-chip RV770 boards will have enough
    fire power to beat the best existing dual-GPU boards from both ATI
    itself and Nvidia. However, that's a somewhat moot point. For
    starters, ATI is also prepping a dual-chip variant of the 4800 series,
    codenamed R700.

    Moreover, dual-chip graphics cards tend to be rather unreliable
    beasts. We've little doubt enthusiasts will welcome a new single-chip
    card that lifts the bar for performance.

    What about the green team?

    All of which just leaves the question of how long it takes Nvidia to
    respond. The configuration of Nvidia's next heavyweight GPU, codenamed
    GT200, is still the subject of some debate.

    However, a German language website recently claimed that Nvidia has
    confirmed the chip will pack one billion transistors. If so, it will
    clearly be more complex than ATI's RV770.

    But when will GT200 appear? Given the recent roll out of the 9800 GTX,
    it's hard to see Nvidia releasing another new high end graphics
    chipset before late summer.

    For now, AMD will only say that RV770 is out soon. We'd put good money
    on a late May launch date for RV770. But even a few months at the top
    would do wonders for both the image of the ATI brand and morale at AMD
    and ATI in general.

    By Jeremy Laird

    http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...rds/amd-preps-graphics-bomb-for-nvidia-331268

    AirRaid, May 1, 2008

  2. That's why I bought a 3870 card, and did not wait for the 4000 series
    card. Because the architecture would be the same, I would not expect
    the quality of image or other similar characteristics to improve. The
    power of 3870 was more than enough to play almost all of the games on
    the market (the games of interest to me). It gets more transistors, so
    that it becames hotter and more power-hungry, and that was not what I
    was looking for (for my current rig).

    Beladi Nasrallah, May 1, 2008

  3. AirRaid

    fun guy Guest

    Now we just need some good PC games to run on it because other than that POS
    Crysis everything is running Dandy and not much is coming out it seems.
    Oh maybe MS FightSim X as well but I have that away.

    Think I'll buy a Wii instead.

    fun guy, May 2, 2008