    Because for some reason newegg decided to discount the retail processor
    more heavily than the OEM processor. Perhaps they're overstocked and
    need to move them.

    J.Clarke, Jul 24, 2003

  2. J.Clarke

    Joe Guest

    I am going to be buying an XP 2500 but I can't seem to figure this out. It
    is cheaper to buy the processor with the heatsink and fan than it is to buy
    the CPU alone.
    http://tinyurl.com/hvit

    Why the hell is that?

    -Joe

    Joe, Jul 24, 2003

  3. I am going to be buying an XP 2500 but I can't seem to figure this
    I bought the "retail package" even though it was $10 MORE than the "tray
    only" at Fry's. The 3 yr warranty is nice, but the fan works great. I've
    never had a processor run as cool as this one does. Plus, there's no
    question as to whether its right or not.

    AQ

    Allan Quartermain, Aug 12, 2003
  4. J.Clarke

    rstlne Guest

    Supply and demand. Newegg likely sells a great deal more retail packages
    Yea but the 3 year warranty is only valid if you dont remove the hsfan
    correct me if I am wrong but didnt amd actually use a thermal adhesive to
    fix it to the cpu..

    rstlne, Sep 1, 2003
  5. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    No. They provide the CPU and the HSF as separate components in the
    retail box with phase-change thermal material on the HSF.

    J.Clarke, Sep 2, 2003
  6. You're wrong :)
    The retail HSF attached to the socket lugs, *not* the CPU. *You* install
    your HSF of choice.

    Peter van der Goes, Sep 2, 2003
  7. J.Clarke

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Sep 2, 2003
  8. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    Phase change thermal material--some stays stuck to the HSF, some stays
    stuck to the processor, it cures hard. If you use a different HSF then
    the thermal material left on the processor won't mate with that left on
    the HSF.

    J.Clarke, Sep 2, 2003
  9. J.Clarke

    Pug Fugley Guest

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_867_2139,00
    ..html

    How are they going to know what HSF you installed on the damn thing if you
    simply just keep your retail HSF and send that back with your burned chip?

    Pug Fugley, Sep 2, 2003
  10. J.Clarke

    Pug Fugley Guest

    The very first thing that most folks do is scrape that shit off. There's
    nothing on there about having to have the 'tape' intact.

    Wipe it off the sink, wipe it off the chip, you'd never know it was there.

    Pug Fugley, Sep 3, 2003
  11. J.Clarke

    J.Clarke Guest

    You'd never know your warranty was there either.
    <http://www.xtremetek.com/info/index.php?id=14>

    J.Clarke, Sep 3, 2003
  12. J.Clarke

    BF Guest

    The way I see it is if the thing lasts a couple days it will probably last
    forever or until it is obsolete. If it burns up you probably did something
    really dumb and shouldn't get a replacement anyway. I can't see how
    overclocking can cause damage because, form my experience, it will become
    unstable or not boot at all. Forget about the warranty and get an OEM for a
    couple bucks less.

    BF, Sep 16, 2003