AMD Sempron 3500+ vs Turion Duel Core or Centrino Duo

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by chrise, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. chrise

    chrise Guest

    I am looking to replace my desktop computer. The following are the
    primary uses of a computer for me:
    1. Surf the internet
    2. Microsoft Office
    3. Tax software and similar useful program
    4. Tiger Woods golf game
    5. Manage ipod
    6. watch dvds
    7. soon (manage a very basic website i.e. limited graphics)
    8. soon (burn dvds)

    My dilemma is, I see what I think is a great deal for a 17" HP with a
    Sempron processor. 1024mb ram, 80gb HD for 599 from office depot. For
    $75 more I could get a Turion Duel Core Processor. For even more, but
    with a smaller screen, I could get a Centrino Duo.

    My question is for the uses I for a computer will the Sempron be more
    than enough or should I invest more for one of the other processors?

    chrise, Nov 20, 2006

  2. chrise

    BillW50 Guest

    Heck even the modern day cheapies with a Celeron processors can do all
    that. ;)

    BillW50, Nov 20, 2006

  3. chrise

    Hertz_Donut Guest

    The best processor of the group you mentioned is the Turion X2. I would go
    for that over the others. Second choice would be the Sempron. Last choice
    would be the Centrino (faux) Duo.

    Honu

    Hertz_Donut, Nov 20, 2006
  4. chrise

    - Bobb - Guest

  5. chrise

    chrise Guest

    Thanks everyone for your advice. On Saturday I bought a 17" HP
    Pavillion with Sempron 3500+ processor, 1024mb memory, 80GB HD, DVD/CD
    read&write for $929, but after all rebates it will be $599.

    For a computer to do the things I listed in my original note, do you
    all think this was a good deal or a bad deal?

    chrise, Nov 27, 2006