    ect..ect.. I am pretty savvy with all the other PC components...

    Thank You,

    Kevin

    Kevin, Oct 22, 2003

  2. A simple 2400+ XP, Asus A7V8X-X MB, Thermalright SLK-800 and a Vantec
    Stealth fan should do nicely. Not sure where to find the "god" HSF combo
    you're asking about. ;-)

    The TweakOholic, Oct 22, 2003

  3. if your not going to overclock.. dont worry about a new HS/F just use
    the retail... and get a 2600+ (best value right now)... if you want to
    overclock in the future... get a 2500+ barton(retail) and wait until you
    want to overclock to get a new HS/F

    James Paraskeva, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Kevin

    Chris C Guest

    Hi, get the ABitNF7-S and a XP2500, at only around £80 each it's a
    bargain.....
    Chris

    Chris C, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Kevin

    Nystagmus Guest

    Try an AOpen mainboard. I find them to be most stable mainboard I have
    used to date. If you use AOpen or any other you should at least look for an
    nvidia nforce Ultra 400 chipset as it is considered by most to be the best.
    If you consider AOpen use the following link to see more about the AK79D Max
    AOpen's top of the link Ultra 400 mainboard.

    www.aopen.com/products/mb/AK79D-400Max.htm

    I use a OCZ Gladiator 3 heatsink. It is an effective heatsink/fan and it
    has a 4 LED (multicolor) fan which looks good in a windowed case. You can
    also just stick with the heatsink/fan AMD supplies when you purchase a
    retail version of their CPU since you're not going to OC. The OCZ Gladiator
    3 is not recommended for major OC'ing either. Use the following link to see
    it and its specs.

    www.ocztechnology.com/products/heatsinks/OCZ+Gladiator+3

    Good Luck
    Nystagmus

    Nystagmus, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Kevin

    Ben Pope Guest

    I would say go nForce2... there are a wide veriety of different combinations
    of onboard stuff.

    I went with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe because of the onboard sound (SoundStorm),
    dual LAN and SATA.

    The Abit is supposed to be good too. And MSI have a good reputation.

    I think the Barton is the best core out there and went with the 2500+.

    HSF is up to you... either get a retail chip and use that, or if you prefer
    quiet, get the Vantec Aeroflow, or Coolermaster Aero7+ (the lite is supposed
    to be as good, as the 7+). Speed adjustability is useful when trying to
    find a good comprimise of temps and noise.

    In terms of memory, it's worth getting good quility stuff running at CAS2,
    recommend Corsair XMS, GeIL and Mushkin. I ewent with the 3200LL as I was
    intending to overclock (and it does 220MHz at 5-2-2-2, which is a pretty
    good margin). You could get away with PC2700, but increasing the FSB of the
    2500+ to 200MHz and lowering the multiplier (since you don't wish to
    overclock) will give you a bit better performance and will require PC3200.
    The nForce platform runs best when the FSB and RAM are in synch (at the same
    speed).

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Oct 22, 2003