    I would like to drop in a 2800+. Is this possible as my MB has a fsb speed
    of 266

    Many Thanks

    Mike Spezzano, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Officially this board supports up to the XP2100+ Palomino core CPU.

    Unofficially, after removing capacitor C37, it will support up to a 266MHz
    FSB XP2600+ Thoroughbred core CPU. You should also update the BIOS to
    version 3.70 so that the CPU will be properly identified during POST.

    I am running my MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU with an XP2400+ Thoroughbred. None of
    the vendors where I live was able to supply an XP2600+ 266MHz FSB
    Thoroughbred because they are almost impossible to find.

    I don't think the Bartons will work properly, if at all.

    Homer J. Simpson, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Mike Spezzano

    Mike Guest

    Any side effects to removing this capacitor? First I hear of this, and I've
    been hitching to upgrade my 1800, wanted to go higher than 2100, and didn't
    want to swap boards..
    and it's just that easy? Cut off that cap, and she's all good?

    Mike, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Homer J. Simpson, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Mike Spezzano

    dgk Guest

    I am confused. According to the website, the K7T266 Pro2-U supports up
    to 2600+ tbreds
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=386

    but the K7T266 Pro2-RU supports up to 2100+ Palominos?
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=29

    So the U doesn't really mean anything in this. Well, I have the RU so
    I guess 2100+ is it.

    What does the capacitor lobotomy do? Oh, you posted that link. No, I
    don't think I want to do that...

    dgk, Dec 30, 2003