AMD Turion 64 Mobile MT37 vs Mobile Sempron 3000+

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Paul_in_NC, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. Paul_in_NC

    Paul_in_NC Guest

    Hello all,
    I am considering purchasing a processor upgrade for my HP Pavilion
    ze2401xt notebook PC. After a nice chat with an HP online technician
    and acquiring a copy of the service manual for my ze2000 series HP
    Pavilion, I have found that I can upgrade the processor that came with
    my HP from the current AMD Mobile Sempron 3000+ (1.8Ghz, L1 Cache
    64K+64K, L2 Cache 128K, 1.400v, 62w TDP) to an AMD Turion 64 Mobile
    MT37 (2.0Ghz, L1 Cache 64K+64K, L2 Cache 1MB, 1.200v, 25w TDP).
    My question is, would the performance gains of the upgrade be worth the
    $209 that the MT37 costs?
    Also, I have been reading that since the MT37's TDP is 25w vs the
    Sempron's 62w that overall notebook should run cooler with the MT37.
    Has anyone out there experienced this firsthand?

    Any opinions, insight or personal experiences in this area would be
    very much appreciated and looked forward to.

    Thank you,
    Paul_in_NC

    Paul_in_NC, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Paul_in_NC

    Paul_in_NC Guest

    Anybody?

    Paul_in_NC, Jun 15, 2006

  3. Probably not. I would get the slowest MT3x that they have.

    I have a MT37 in my HP (Compaq v5000z) and the thing blows *very* hot
    air out the back at 2.2Ghz. I would not expect the CPU and
    surrounding capacitors to last long with this sort of abuse. I now
    only run the laptop at 800Mhz and the air blowing out is warm, but not
    hot.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 17, 2006