    bought duff motherboards too). So forgetting speed for a moment... are Intel
    chips any more stable than AMD? What motherboard would you recommend for a
    intel 3.2 (800mhz)?

    nardia, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Considering that AMD chips are prone to spit out more heat than Intel
    ditto's, and AMD solution can be seen as less stable if you dont provide
    proper cooling for your processor.

    I've had 4 Intel machines in a row, and there's no stability problems I
    could pin on Intel's products (within reason, that it. I used to torture
    a Celeron by overclocking it 33%, and occasionannly it rebooted due to
    overheating...)

    --

    :eek:) - Peter Perls┬┐ - tel: +45 5192 3981 - web: http://u238.dk

    "If you have been voting for politicians who promise to give you goodies
    at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they
    take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves."

    -- Thomas Sowell (1992)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=, Nov 7, 2003

  3. No they are not, just buy a retail CPU product and install the heat sink
    that comes with it just like onto a good quality motherboard just like you
    would with an Intel chip and you will be ok...

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 7, 2003
  4. I guess I should rephrase something... What I ment to say is that Intel and
    AMD products are equally stable...

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 7, 2003
  5. There really aren't unstable processors. So long as you don't overclock
    them, properly cool them, and don't abuse them, any processor should last
    for decades without making a mistake. I've never had a problem develop after
    a successful installation that went away with a processor swap except for
    cases where other components failed as well (such as a motherboard failure
    that killed the CPU).

    DS

    David Schwartz, Nov 7, 2003
  6. nardia

    DaveW Guest

    Asus P4C800E- Deluxe. Stable, fast, all the bells and whistles.

    DaveW, Nov 8, 2003
  7. nardia

    blackgold Guest

    If you set them right there should be no difference. I am an Intel fan and I
    have always use Intel cpu and never had a failure. My best friend is an AMD
    fan and he has always used AMD cpu and never had a failure. Of course he
    saved a lot of $ while I am broke! Hahaha.

    blackgold, Nov 8, 2003
  8. nardia

    Guess Who Guest

    I can't say that the processor was unstable, but of all the systems I've
    built and used, Intel has always been rock-solid and problem free. With the
    AMD chipset/processor machines I've built, I have always had numerous
    compatibility/freezing/crashing problems.

    My guess is that software gets along better with Intel CPU's chipsets than
    with AMD processors and the associated chipsets.

    Guess Who, Nov 12, 2003
  9. You're dead wrong in so far as the CPU... Code, gets along just fine with
    AMD CPU's... As a matter of fact legacy code really tends to favor AMD CPU's
    because of their design philosophies. If you use a VIA chipset you may
    encounter some problems with hardware, but then again if you use a VIA/Intel
    platform you're going to run into the same problems. This is why it is wise
    on the AXP side of things to go with an nForce 2 board, and on the A64 go
    with an nForce 3. Better preformance, fewer headaches...

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 13, 2003
  10. nardia

    Judd Guest

    Nah, sorry, you're more likely to have less headaches with Intel.

    Judd, Nov 14, 2003
  11. nardia

    i'm_tired Guest

    You must be stoned

    i'm_tired, Nov 15, 2003
  12. nardia

    i'm_tired Guest

    Both are equally stable. Each have their benefits, though. Look at
    comparison charts of benchmarks available at places on the web (such as
    www.tomshardware.com - well known, but some will say his site can be biased
    towards whoever is spending the most advertizing dollars with him at the
    time) or look at benchmark comparisons in PCMagazine or some other similar
    publications and determine what benchmarks most closely match the
    applications you currently run or intend to run in the near future. When
    you determine what platform best meets your performance needs, purchase it.

    I have intel boxes and I have AMD boxes. Any stability problems I have ever
    had *were my own damn fault* and I can not blame them on either chip maker.
    Anyone who claims other than that while using any modern chip on any modern
    chipset that they didn't get out of a crackerjack box (even VIA has their
    ducks in a row these days) is a liar or a fool.

    If you have chosen that P4 3.2-800, I have to parrot the other person who
    said you will probably appreciate the Asus P4C800E- Deluxe. I couldn't be
    happier with the one I have.

    i'm_tired, Nov 15, 2003
  13. nardia

    Judd Guest