    a higher multiplier? Would this limit my overclocking options?

    Thanks, I've been out of o/cing for a great many years.

    RT

    RT, Mar 15, 2005

  2. RT

    Wes Newell Guest

    The slower ram will work but the multiplier is locked. Your overclocking
    will be very limited with PC2100 ram. Oh, the cpu runs at 200MHz FSB
    default. Depnding on how good you ram is will depend on how much you can
    raise the FSB.

    Wes Newell, Mar 15, 2005

  3. RT

    RT Guest

    This board accepts DDR400, so I guess that would be my next step?

    RT, Mar 15, 2005
  4. RT

    Wes Newell Guest

    The board will accept whatever you want to put in it. I'm using PC3700
    (DDR466) that I pulled out of my old Athlon XP system. If I were buying
    ram for it today and planning on overclocking, I'd get the fastest there
    is within price reason. PC4400 if it's reasonably priced. The reason is a
    simple one, the ram bus overclocks with the FSB . SO setting the ram bus
    to 200MHz and the FSB to 266Mhz also raises the ram bus to 266MHz. So if
    you only have PC3200 ram (rated for 200MHz), you'd need to set theinitial
    ram bus speed to 133MHz if you set the FSB to 266Mhz to bring the ram bus
    to 200MHz with the overclock.

    Wes Newell, Mar 15, 2005
  5. RT

    IMA Guest

    Thanks, that sets me straight. The board and CPU are ordered, guess I'll
    breakdown and buy PC4400.

    IMA, Mar 16, 2005