AN-11 with onboardPromise RAID

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Johann Koenig, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. I have 2 hdds I would like to put in a RAID 1 array. So, they are
    plugged into the RAID channels (IDE 2/3) , each one master on its own
    channel. When the RAID jumper is set to OFF, the computer boots fine,
    and I can see/use the hdds. If I switch it to ON though, the computer
    hangs in the Promise BIOS:

    FastTrak100 (tm) "Lite" BIOS Version 2.00.0.23
    (c) 1995-2001 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.

    According to the docs I've found, it should prompt me with somthing
    like:

    No array defined ...
    Press <Ctrl-F> to enter FastBuild (tm) Utility
    Or press <ESC> key to continue booting the system

    But I don't. I only get the other stuff I mentioned earlier.

    Computer specs:
    AMD ThunderBird 900mhz
    FIC AN-11 Stealth with Promise RAID
    Hdds:
    Western Digital WD400 (40.0 GB) on IDE2 Master
    IBM Deskstar (41.0GB) on IDE3 Master
    Sony CD-RW on IDE0 Master
    No-Name DVD on IDE0 Slave
    Plus standard video/nic/keyboard/mouse

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    --
    -johann koenig

    Johann Koenig, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Johann Koenig

    Cindg88 Guest

    Check the docs at
    E:\csw-windows\csw-win9x-05\Hardware\motherboards\fic\AN11

    Wouldn't hurt to download alll three files.

    In the an11_addendum.zip there are several updates on RAID, which
    talks about "other" switches having to be set while using RAID.

    Cindg88, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Johann Koenig

    Cindg88 Guest

    Ouch....I referenced my drive. 8)

    The correct address is
    ftp://ftp.fica.com/manuals/motherboards/an11/

    Cindg88, Jul 16, 2003
  4. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:10:41 GMT
    I'm not sure what they mean by the "RAID BIOS Utility" in the addendum.
    I went thorough the CMOS options several times, and found no mention of
    RAID, ever.

    I downgraded my BIOS, and got it working. I was sorely
    dissappointed to find that its software RAID. Also, one off my hdds (the
    IBM Deskstar, which I had problems with before) went bad, and things
    get all fscked up. I'm switching back to one hdd for the moment. I hope
    to get a set of Western Digital Special Edition 120gb (7200 RPM, 8MB
    buffer), and try again.

    Thanks for the tip, but I had read that pdf :-/ I spent a helluva lot
    of time on this problem.
    --
    -johann koenig

    Johann Koenig, Jul 18, 2003