    Any ideas here? I'm close to just returning it for a replacement.

    Thanks
    Brad

    Brad, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Brad

    ICee Guest

    That two tone error code from the BIOS usually indicates the CPU is
    overheating, not seated properly, or the CPU is damaged. This is
    usually due to the heatsink not being mounted properly, or the heatsink
    fan is not being detected due to slow speed or "dirty" tach signal.
    Here is the URL for BIOS beep codes:
    http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

    Would suggest you remove and then reinstall the heatsink. Very often
    the problem is that the heatsink is mounted "backwards" (180 degrees
    turned around).

    ICee, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Brad

    Andrew Guest

    I had a similar problem with the AN7.
    Siren error for me was due to the cpu fan connected to the incorrect
    socket.
    The cpu fan is to the right of the cpu, i initially had mine plugged into a
    fan socket on the left of the cpu.
    I did the bare bones thing in the case, a few times, with no boot results.
    Just power to board, video and one stick of ram
    Resorted to pulling everything out of the case, and setting it up on my
    workdesk. ( has a rubber anti static mat)
    It booted outside of the case , and I was able to load windows.
    A trip to home depot for rubber washers, and insulating the board from the
    case both top and bottom, allowed me to save the trip back to the pc shop
    to return the board.
    Its running finenow am happy to say

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Thanks for the informative link! I've been searching but was unable
    to find any reference to the audible codes.

    I still can't figure out whats the deal though. This happens on
    initial boot after just a few seconds so I can't see how it would be
    heat related. I have a large copper heatsink that mounts with screws.
    Theres really no way to screw it up.

    As for inserting the CPU they really only go in one way so I'm not
    sure how I could screw that one up. I've tried by 2500 and also an
    old Duron with the same results. Maybe I'll plop the Duron in my
    other old machine and make sure it will still boot as well.

    The fan is a nice quiet panaracer that is working fine. I also tried
    an old noisy fan with the same results. The header I'm using is to
    the right of the CPU and marked CPUFAN1...or something like that.

    Finally, I have taken this out of the case and placed it on the static
    bag with a single ram module, video card, and CPU (with fan attached).
    Same thing.

    Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

    Brad

    Brad, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Brad

    ICee Guest

    No, other than the things I mentioned and you've done, I can't think of
    what else may be causing the problem. That is the correct header for
    the fan. Have you tried another memory module, or using a different
    memory slot?

    ICee, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Brad

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Don't know this board myself, but I've had the two tone warning when:
    I've forgotten to connect the additional P4 power connector.
    I've forgotten to connect the additional power connector to a graphics
    card that needs it.

    followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
    followed by 'net'

    Gareth Jones, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Brad

    patrickp Guest

    _Don't_ mount it on an anti-static bag, Brad - they are in fact,
    slightly conductive, to conduct away static charges. Put it on a
    _completely_ non-conductive surface.

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Brad

    borolad Guest

    Turned inside-out, they are anti-static, outside=bad inside=good

    borolad, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Brad

    battman Guest

    I had the same problem with this board and eventually replaced the floppy
    cable
    (which worked fine on my other board) and have not had a problem since.
    Also this board is very picky about the ram used.

    Jere

    battman, Jun 7, 2004
  10. Brad

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Patrick,

    Not all static bags are equal. Some bags you can measure the
    conductivity with an ohm meter, others you can't. My experience is
    that bags were the conductivity is too high to measure are safe to
    work on. They won't even affect circuitry operating in the GHz range
    (aka skin effects) (free air is what... 344 ohms per inch).

    The bag my abit motherboard came in has a pink tint with black strips
    (the strips are the conductive part). My multimeter measures > 30 Meg
    ohms for this bag - which should be a safe work surface.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    < snip >

    - HAL9000, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Brad

    patrickp Guest

    Points taken, borolad and Forrest. However, I think that, unless you
    _know_ the anti-static surface you are using has a sufficiently low
    conductivity, better safe than sorry! ;-)

    patrickp

    - take five to email me

    patrickp, Jun 7, 2004
  12. Brad

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Right-ee-ohh felix, err ahh, I mean patrick...

    - HAL9000, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Thought I'd post a follow up to see if this could get to a wider
    audience.

    I went ahead and returned the board and a new one arrived today. I
    didn't even put in in the case, just mounted a single stick of memory,
    processor, and video card. Same thing as before. It seems to pause
    on 87 for a bit then sticks on 9A. Seeing as I have two sticks of
    memory I switched it out...same thing. I've tried to video cards.
    Same thing. Guess I'm going to have to pull apart my working machine
    and try the power supply. It doesn't have the extra four prong power
    connector so it may be useless to try but we will see.

    These are the days when I think DELL wouldn't be such a bad
    option.....

    Brad, Jun 18, 2004
  14. Brad

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Er.... does the power supply you're using now have the 4 pin P4
    connector? And does your motherboard? Is it plugged in? And working
    correctly?

    I'm having a vague recollection of having some two tone siren type sound
    from a DFI board when I forgot to plug the P4 power lead in......

    Gareth Jones, Jun 18, 2004
  15. Brad

    TomG Guest

    have you tried a different set of memory sticks?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jun 18, 2004
  16. Brad

    Frank Guest

    your pc will not boot without the supplementary 4 pin 12V connector. Anyway,
    when I unplug mine, the pc does not boot. And also, in the AN7 manual, it
    specifies you need this connector. Your PSU needs this 4 pin connector
    connected to the board.
    good luck.

    Frank, Jun 18, 2004
  17. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Unfortunately I don't have any extra DDR around. I have everything
    else but not that. Right now I am running some CAS 2 DDR333 from OCZ.
    I really suspect thats the issue. None of my frieds are willing to
    let me borrow a stick to test. I wonder why :)?

    Anyone know off hand what happens in performance on these boxes when
    using 3 sticks of ram? Are the first two still run as a dual bank
    getting the full speed up or do you drop performance on all the ram?

    Brad, Jun 18, 2004
  18. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Yeah, my main case has the P4 connector and its in place. The second
    supply I tested doesn't have the connector but caused the same issue.
    I'm not sure on this particular board but I know on my other board the
    P4 connector is optional. In any case its there.

    Thanks
    Brad

    Brad, Jun 18, 2004
  19. Brad

    TomG Guest

    I cannot say whether the ram still runs in dual channel mode with three
    sticks... easy enough to test since dual channel is announced in early POST
    screens if it is enabled...

    I have helped others with problems using OCZ...

    TomG, Jun 19, 2004
  20. Brad

    Brad Guest

    The search for a fix goes on.

    I obtained a new stick of ram and it didn't fix anything. Same
    problems as before. For those that don't have the original article I
    get a constant beeping right after I turn power on. I'm on my second
    AN7. I've tried multiple sticks/brands of ram. Multiple video
    cards...

    I'm not very suspicious of the power supply. I've read on a webpage
    that even when not connected the gray pwr-ok on the power supply
    should be at least 2V. Right now when I measure the voltage it is 0.
    Is this truely an error condition? Sounds like this may be my real
    issue if so.

    Thanks

    Brad, Jun 21, 2004